Bottle label removal - just an experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkota

Reaction score
I have not been able to bring myself to buy empty beer bottles at the LBS. So slowly I have been collecting bottles from Deschutes and Widmer and the like. Recently I was given about 3 cases that a buddy had saved up for me.

My first attempt at removing the labels was soaking the bottles in hot soapy water. This worked ok for about 80% of the labels.

My second attempt was to soak them in an ammonia/water solution. This was much better at removing the labels, but it stinks.

Third try I used EDIT Powdered Line Cleaner. I don't know what is in it, but it didn't smell, didn't require a lot of PLC and the labels slipped off. Even the old Miller bottles that a co-worker had given me with metallic labels slipped off with out too much effort.

I know there are about a billion threads on this, but I just wanted to share my experience. The hot soapy water might be enough for some or I've read that Oxyclean (I'm going to try that next) works well also.

Now my bottles look presentable and people don't make a funny face.

I use generic oxyclean. I use 1/2 scoop (I think the container says 1 scoop per gallon.....way to move product guys?!!!!!!) in 5 gallons. I basically sink my bottles into it after it's about 2/3 full. The labels are usually laying on the bottom in a few hours.

I use the generic Oxy Clean as well. I keep a Rubbermaid tub with some in it and use it until it gets cloudy from all the glue.

I also use a generic oxyclean that I got at Wal Mart for like 3 bucks.. stuff works great for cleaning buckets, carboys and removing labels. I also used hot soapy water until I thought about the soap film it could leave in the bottles if not rinsed good enough. This film will kill your head.

I fill up a bucket with fairly hot water, add a generous amount of oxiclean free, and let it sit overnight. Oh yeah, add bottles too. Next day they are clean and half the labels are already off and the rest come off with little to no residue left behind.

I just let them soak in water and most seem to come off fairly easy. The Kirkland labels are a little harder to get off than Widmer and Deschutes.

I'll try oxyclean then. I have most of the labels off my grolsch bottles, but quite a glue residue left. It's not really that big a deal, but it's annoying to have it on there.

Forgot to say we run the bottles through the dish washer to get any glue left on. These bottle come out looking new.

EDIT: I used Powdered Line Cleaner (PLC) not Powdered Brewery Cleaner. Maybe they are the same, but I wanted to clarify.

Another vote for Oxi-clean.

I used it for the first time Monday and was amazed at the results. The labels peeled off in one piece and just a quick rub down with a scotch-brite pad the bottle was clean.

Back