Do you need to "convert" a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadums

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you regulate the temp. on a chest freezer to use it for kegs? Can you just set a temp. for above freezing, or is there something you have to do to it so it works like a fridge?I found one on sale, but I wanted to know if I needed anything else to start. Thanks!!

you have to buy an external thermostat. The chest freezer on it's warmest setting is too cold. It's a freezer :D

Popular optionsa round here are Ranco, Johnson A419, and LOVE.
You can find pre-wired version for Ranco's and Johnsons to you just plug it into a wall and plug your freezer into and set your temperature. The Love gives you a much smaller package. Nice for Aesthetics on something like a keezer.

You'll need a temperature controller. They can range from very inexpensive analog units, like the $36 unit from www.chicompany.net, up to very complex programmable PIDs with learning capabilities. They all basically do the same thing in this application though, turn power to your freezer on and off in order to hold a specified temperature. Hope that helps.

$$ and aesthetics are the the determining factors in buying a controller. My keezer will be in my basement crawl space. I don't care what it looks like as long as it keeps the kegs cold so I went as cheap as possible...

I have an analog johnson controller and one of the cheapies from chicompany. both work very well. The johnson is a lot smaller though, and easier to hide if that matters to you.

Latest posts

Back