Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman301

Reaction score
Hey,
So I have an Oktoberfest that I just brewed, cracked it open last night and it was amazing. I brewed it from extracts and I have been poking around the internet trying to find a way to convert the extract side of the recipe into an all grain recipe. I was wondering if this is more an 'art' than a science or if anyone knows any hard and fast rules for converting DME and LME into grain proportions. I used 1 can (3.3lbs) of Munton's Amber LME, and 2 bags (1lb each) of Munton's Light DME. So far I haven't found any way to convert these into specific grains to be used in a mash. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, converting the Amber is going to be tough. Muntons has never responded to my questions about what's in the stuff, much less what the proportions are.

You can kind of guess, though. Briess's Amber extract, for example, is mashed with 2-row Base Malt, Caramel Malt 60L, and Munich Malt. How much of each? Guesswork. I'd say 80% base malt, 10% Caramel 60L and 10% Munich. But that's nothing to bank on.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks. As far as the amber I was a bit worried that was going to be the answer. I understand conceptually that the light DME is in the recipe as the 'backbone' of the alcohol content, and that the amber extract was more for flavor and color, so it was more likely to be a combination. Thanks for the tips though.

Latest posts

Back