solenoid valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nine 1-inch versions of these in my rig that control everything and I really like them....

1/2" Electric Solenoid Valve 24-V DC Air, Fuel... B21N - eBay (item 290318626376 end time Jun-18-09 21:54:46 PDT)

If you are thinking about trying these, make sure you email the seller and tell him you want the viton seals (food and temp safe) and also tell him you want the 120 volt (unless you truly want the 12V)... both requests are free and he's a super nice guy. I ordered a couple at a time and they all showed up very quickly.

The full 1 inch valves ran me about $45 each i think. Just because you don't see them in his "store" on Ebay doesn't be he doesn't have them... he's got 'em. i would just email him if you're interested.

I have the 24VDC stainless version for my water side. It was not from this vendor. But, the valve actuator get very hot if I leave it energized for 20 -30 minutes. It gets hot enough that I'm sure it will fail eventually. So, make sure that this is not a problem with whichever valve you choose. Luck - Dwain

I have the 24VDC stainless version for my water side. It was not from this vendor. But, the valve actuator get very hot if I leave it energized for 20 -30 minutes. It gets hot enough that I'm sure it will fail eventually. So, make sure that this is not a problem with whichever valve you choose. Luck - Dwain

I know more about solenoid valves than I care to admit but don't worry about a valve getting hot to the touch. Most good quality manufacturers' valves are built to handle the heat under what is known as continuous duty (being powered on for extended periods of time). The cheaper valves from China, Turkey, etc., will more than likely fail prematurely under continuous duty so choose wisely.

Sanitary designs should be your next concern. If you intend on sending fluids you will consume through these valves, you should consider diaphragm isolation valves, not diaphragm actuated valves. The isolation valves keep the liquids from getting into the parts of the valve that are high in exposed iron content which can alter chemistry and flavor dramatically. The diaphragm actuated valves WILL allow contact of your liquids with the iron parts.

If anyone needs more information please contact me through this post or by PM. My company has a website where we sell these if you'd like but I won't post here as it might not be proper. Good luck, all!

Cape Brewing would these ebay solenoids be good for propane?

TJ Mustard

Hey TJ, this is a diaphragm isolation valve and is suitable for propane as long as you don't exceed the maximum operating pressure differential (MOPD) of the valve with your propane tank. If you do, it will leak the propane right through the valve and may create an explosion in the presence of a flame or other combustion source. There are other diaphragm actuated valves that might be better suited and can handle higher pressures.

I have nine 1-inch versions of these in my rig that control everything and I really like them....

1/2" Electric Solenoid Valve 24-V DC Air, Fuel... B21N - eBay (item 290318626376 end time Jun-18-09 21:54:46 PDT)

If you are thinking about trying these, make sure you email the seller and tell him you want the viton seals (food and temp safe) and also tell him you want the 120 volt (unless you truly want the 12V)... both requests are free and he's a super nice guy. I ordered a couple at a time and they all showed up very quickly.

The full 1 inch valves ran me about $45 each i think. Just because you don't see them in his "store" on Ebay doesn't be he doesn't have them... he's got 'em. i would just email him if you're interested.

I just reviewed that ebay item and it appears to be a direct-lift, isolating diaphragm type valve which is absolutely appropriate for potable liquids as long as the diaphragm material is suitable (Buna-Nitrile, Viton or EPDM). Viton is the best choice for high temperatures but otherwise the other materials are equally suited for potable liquids.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but would these be OK for use in a brew system?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-24V-DC-Elec...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b0ceff5

I also found a stainless option
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-Solenoid-Va...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439e286363

Not sure if these are good deals, or if I should keep looking?

I can't tell you whether or not those particular valves are suitable for your application, but I can tell you that the Valves for Projects people are reputable. I use one of their valves and it's been working flawlessly on my system. Their customer service and tech support is excellent. Give them a call or email them and ask for their recommendations. I did that and they pointed me to the best valve and they responded very quickly. I'm a very satisfied customer.

http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects

I can't tell you whether or not those particular valves are suitable for your application, but I can tell you that the Valves for Projects people are reputable. I use one of their valves and it's been working flawlessly on my system. Their customer service and tech support is excellent. Give them a call or email them and ask for their recommendations. I did that and they pointed me to the best valve and they responded very quickly. I'm a very satisfied customer.

http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects

+100

I've got a pile of their valves in my rig and have been very happy with the results. Prices are great too.

Back