Planning first hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Reaction score
Hi All,

For those of you who formulate their own recipes. My question is: how do you figure out how much hops to add for your bittering hops? It doesn't matter what style that you are brewing. Just that you know style "x" has a range of 10 to 25 IBU's. Sometimes I add too much and the beer is overly bitter for the style. I usually end up brewing the same beer and tweaking that first addition. I just wanted to see if you all had a better system worked out. Thanks

Cheers
Kev

I use brew toad when online. I use brewmate, free to download, when offline

I use beer tools myself. The only thing that I notice is that calculators will give you the overall total ( or keep a running tally). The big question is: how much of that 10 - 30 IBU's goes into bittering? Do those calculators tell you that? Thanks

Cheers
Kev

Brewtarget is another installable software that is free. I use beersmith ($) for calculating IBUs; it works for me.

Back