German Pils German Pilsner Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downinit

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast Kolsch
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days or more
Tasting Notes
The next best thing to a lager. 4.9% ABV
Ingredients:
6.0 lb Liquid Light Extract
1.0 lb Carapils® Briess
1.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea Wyeast Kolsch or Fermentis Safale US-05

I add the aroma hops directly to the wort so that they continue to provide flavor and aroma throughout. They will eventually settle out with the yeast and proteins so I don't filter them out either.

I do 3 gallon boils since I don't have a wort chiller yet and do my boils on the stove.

I don't have the equipment to do a true lager so I developed this easy recipe to make my favorite session beer. A light ale that would be a true Pilsner if not for the yeast.

How does that gravity to IBU ratio work out for this? I'm putting together a german pale ale recipe, something to showcase german hops. Do you still get good flavor and aroma from the hops? Think i'm going to try dryhopping with some hallertau or tettnanger too.

PilsnerAle1.jpg

Sounds like a pretty good light german beer. Do you steep the Briess Carapils for 30 minutes or mini mash it? Also, if using the Kolsch yeast could I lager it since I have a lagering setup? Just curious. :)

Sounds like a pretty good light german beer. Do you steep the Briess Carapils for 30 minutes or mini mash it? Also, if using the Kolsch yeast could I lager it since I have a lagering setup? Just curious. :)

I steep the carapils for 15 minutes. I don't know about lagering with kolsch yeast, if I had the patience and the fridge for lagering I would use a bavarian lager yeast.

While I was waiting for your reply I did some research and there seems to be disagreement amoungst brewers if you can steep that grain, lol. I would say about 50% say you can and the other 50% say you can't. Obviously you do and it works great so that answers that question.

However, I did put some thought into it, and you could just use 8oz of Malto Dextrin in the boil instead of those grains to achieve the same effexct and save some time!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/malto-dextrin-8-oz.html

Actually I just noticed Northern Brewer has the Carapil Briess under their Caramel & Crystal Malts section so it has to be a steeping grain.

Isnt light extract a pale malt and not pilsner malt?, wouldnt this just be a light ale? From what i understand extra light is a pilsner malt.

I made this recipe but the guy at my LHBS didn't have LME so I used 5lbs of DME (.2 more than I should have I guess).

AWESOME. This is a great, easy, drinkable beer. Thanks a lot! Wife approves as well :)

I really like the sound of this recipe, so I decided to buy the supplies and am gonna make it on the 4th.

I was considering adding only about half of the hops suggested, though, to cut back on the overall hop profile of the beer.

Anybody whose made this beer, would the hops even be detectable with only an oz of each style in it? I'm looking to make a beer that's still accessible to people who are typically only lager drinkers... trying to slowly introduce some people into the beer world.

My other idea was doing the first addition at 45m instead of 60m, and trying to cut back on the bitterness that way.

Anyways, any suggestions would be awesome. I can't wait to try out this beer.

Isnt light extract a pale malt and not pilsner malt?, wouldnt this just be a light ale? From what i understand extra light is a pilsner malt.

NB has a pilsen extract I use 6# of, along with the carapils and a # of DME. I make a noble pils with one oz each of pacifica, czech saaz, hallertau, and tettnanger. I hop with the following schedule:

hallertau: 1/2 oz @ 60mins.
saaz: 1/2 oz @ 45 mins
Hallertau 1/2 oz at 30 mins
tettnanger 1/2 oz at 20 mins
saaz at 15 mins
pacifica 1/2 oz at 10 mins
tettnanger at 5 mins
pacifica at flame out

Its a bit heavier and more balanced than this recipe, more in a czech style.

Kolsch yeast lends itself well to lagering. ferment at the coolest part of the range, then lager for 4 weeks.

Just bottled my take on this. Only thing I changed was to take the temp down to 35-40 for a couple weeks before bottling.

Very excited to try it!

safetydan said:
Just bottled my take on this. Only thing I changed was to take the temp down to 35-40 for a couple weeks before bottling.

Very excited to try it!

Let us know how it turns out.

Just realized I never checked back in on this. It turned out great! I think next time I will go for a lighter color, but the flavor profile is nice and clean, balance leans a bit towards hops (just as I was hoping for)... Overall delicious! Thanks for the recipe. :mug:

wAxuI.jpg

Yeah man, this is one that I am going to try and keep on hand. I've made 3 batches of it (finished the last of the 3rd batch tonight) and it's something I'd like to consider a housebrew of sorts - with props to the original recipe poster! I use the US-05 vs the Kolsch yeast though. Otherwise, everything's the same and it's a favorite!

The Danstar Catalog & Technical Info states that “Nottingham will ferment successfully between 10C (50F) and 23C (73F). At lower temperature it is possible to brew lager-type beers in all-malt worts in 8 – 9 days (fig. 1).” I’ve tried it once at 60F and got a lager-type flavor – it was a Vienna. It might work for this German Pilsner and give it a lager flavor as well. Any thoughts?

Somehow I managed to get 1.060 on my second batch and ended at 1.009. My third batch was 1.048 and ended at 1.006. Not sure why I had such a difference between my 2nd and 3rd batch. I apparently didn't record my first.

I need to get a keg setup so i can put this in it. I am about to make my 4th batch. Frickin' great. Thanks for posting the recipe! Of all I have made, this is the fastest to disappear.

Got a batch of this in my 2ndary just waiting to be bottled.

OG was 1.045. My last 3 readings were 1.010.

I fermented in primary for 12 days then racked to secondary (Just had to
start another batch!) and it's been sittin for 2 1/2 weeks. Samples i've tried are yummy, as is the smell!

My question to those who've brewed this is,
What's the tip for clearing it up?

I've checked it just about every day for the past week and a half and
it's still pretty hazy. I know kolsch yeast doesn't like to settle, and I'm
not too keen on adding stuff (like gelatin) when it's all nice and cozy in the carboy.
I'm going to give it another week or 2 for now.
Or, just leave it hazy? No real biggie to me as long as it stays tasty!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I just used US05 instead of the Kolsch yeast. That settles out extremely well in this and has produced THE clearest beer I have made yet. This recipe especially. I know that doesn't really answer your question (sorry) but in the secondary, this guy is nearly see-through for me.

I used the kolsch yeast and cold crashed it, got a pretty clear beer out of it. I'll probably let it sit a week longer next time for a little more clarity.

Thanks for the replies safetydan and pwortiz.

Just wanted to post on my 'opening' day.

I probably was a bit jumpy on the clarity thing (a newb I still am!).

Extra time in the carboy seemed to help the clarity. I'm happy
with the result.

254541_3830605170331_1293362764_n.jpg

It's a great tasting beer. I'm usually one for the darker/heavier beers, but I like a lighter beer on occasion. This one hits the spot!
I'll definitely brew this one again.

:mug:

Gosh darnit! Batch #5....1.054 @ 80* and today, at racking, 1.008@ 65 (8 days in primary). So I'm at 6.4%. I used 5lb even of Light DME but I didn't expect it to hit that SG. I love this beer but I can't seem to nail down the gravity on a consistent basis. Taste is pretty stable and I've always used US-05. I gotta figure this out. Still, one of my favorites and one of my first ever brews.

Hot damn, this is a great beer! I did a dry hop with some left over noble hops and now I call this my German Pale Ale. The original recipe is fantastic and this is now on my keeper list (this makes number 4 out of about 20). So if I want a noble pale ale or if I just want a German Pilsner Ale this is my go to recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Hot damn, this is a great beer! I did a dry hop with some left over noble hops and now I call this my German Pale Ale. The original recipe is fantastic and this is now on my keeper list (this makes number 4 out of about 20). So if I want a noble pale ale or if I just want a German Pilsner Ale this is my go to recipe! Thanks for sharing.

It IS a great beer! I have made this my unofficial house brew....again, I'm still having trouble stabilizing the gravity, though. I follow, in general, the original recipe but the last ounce of hops (.5 of each) I add to the primary just before sealing it. So I basically dry hop in the primary for the 7 days.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if that was the OP's intent based on the directions where he said he adds to the wort...when I transfer normally, I use a strainer/filter and catch most of the hops in that process.

It IS a great beer! I have made this my unofficial house brew....again, I'm still having trouble stabilizing the gravity, though. I follow, in general, the original recipe but the last ounce of hops (.5 of each) I add to the primary just before sealing it. So I basically dry hop in the primary for the 7 days.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if that was the OP's intent based on the directions where he said he adds to the wort...when I transfer normally, I use a strainer/filter and catch most of the hops in that process.

Hi there anyone still monitoring this thread? Realise it was few years ago but trolling through the forums for a Pilsner style beer and very keen to try it!

If you want to get really technical, it's not a true pils BUT it is an excellent substitute! I still make this base recipe all these years later and have expirimented with different hops and consistently been able to turn out a solid base beer. If you have the ability to lager, I would tell you to use the 34/70 saflager yeast and you'll have a great pils on your hands.

Thanks for your input...I can lager so I'll try with the 34/70 yeast would you use 1 or 2 packets of this? Also don't really have a secondary fermenter can I get away with it, guessing no given the long time the beer will sit on the yeast? It sounds like a great beer !!

I used 2 packets with the 1.050 - 1.060 OG. I do all grain now so I use ~10 - 11 lbs of German Pilsner malt and that's it - no additional crystal or anything.

That said, I'm one of the folks you'll see on here that doesn't secondary anything anymore (after reading so many posts about it) unless I need the primary vessel for something. My last batch of this was primary for 4 days then out to 68-70 for diacytl rest for 4 days, then right back into the lagering fridge for a month or so. Your call!

Sounds good - I'll follow the OPs recipe for my first attempt but use DME for a SG of around 1050 so maybe slightly stronger!
Just trying to source the Noble Hallertau hop as not that easy to come by in NZ.
Also will go with no secondary then! See how it goes...thanks again also did u ever try the Czech pilsner from barneygumble in this thread sounds great too

Back