Mash Tun Upgrades!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Tonight Caspio came over with a keg of his Hefeweizen and brazing torch to work on some brew equipment. I've been meaning to upgrade my single copper tube manifold on my MLT, so I figured why not build a fly sparge manifold at the same time? And really, what goes better with a few pints of homebrew than a blowtorch, magma hot solder, and power tools?!

First, pics of the manifold for the bottom of the MLT:
DSCF0001.JPG

Drilling a bunch of 3/32" holes in the bottom of the manifold for adequate draining. A big upgrade in surface area and total coverage than my old single copper tube.
DSCF0007.JPG

And here, proof that I did at least some of the work. Soldering up the fly sparge manifold in an "H" pattern:
DSCF0011.JPG

Not so random holes drilled in this piece. I drilled holes at an angle and staggered them to achieve an even flow over the top of the grainbed. Or at least that's the idea...we'll see what happens.
DSCF0013.JPG

At Caspios suggestion I gave the top tube a long length of 9". This will enable me to adjust the height of the manifold depending on the grainbed depth. I also added a SS hose clamp so once I find the proper height for a given brew, I can tighten it down and lock it into place.
DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

I'll be using a march pump in this setup, so I have a male quick disconnect mounted on the top of the intake post. This makes it easy to pump in from the HLT, and gravity drain out to the boil kettle.
DSCF0022.JPG

Not bad for a nights' work!
DSCF0026.JPG

How do you all set the sparge height using this method? Set it, let it run, lift the lid to check, adjust repeat ? Isn't it a PITA not being able to see inside while trying to adjust? I imagine each batch is going to be slightly different depending on grain bill.

How do you all set the sparge height using this method? Set it, let it run, lift the lid to check, adjust repeat ? Isn't it a PITA not being able to see inside while trying to adjust? I imagine each batch is going to be slightly different depending on grain bill.

this is not that hard,,,,fill mlt with mash and measure from top down to top of mash, transfer that measurement to manifold depth adjustment and lock in place while leaving a gap of about 1/2-1inch for liquor over grainbed.

nice setup thats halfway to pols herms setup now:D
although i'd be worried about not being able to clean the filtering manifold inside

although i'd be worried about not being able to clean the filtering manifold inside

I've used my amazing ms paint skills to clarify a little bit. The red marked joints were not soldered, allowing disassembly for cleaning or things like that.

manifold.jpg

this is not that hard,,,,fill mlt with mash and measure from top down to top of mash, transfer that measurement to manifold depth adjustment and lock in place while leaving a gap of about 1/2-1inch for liquor over grainbed.

nice setup thats halfway to pols herms setup now:D

The filtering manifold actually comes apart. The long cross pieces aren't soldered together, so I can easily take it apart and clean it.

I plan on just eyeballing it, based on the outflow to the boil kettle. I'll adjust the march pump valve and set the height accordingly. I figure maybe 5 mins of messing with it, then I'll leave it alone until I hit my pre-boil volume.

Back