what to stick with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth...I buy pre-glued labels. All thats needed to remove them is soak them overnight and they come right off.

just used some elmers white glue diluted with water for swmbo fruit wine today
seems to be holding well.
hope it comes off easy for next batch:D

This is exactly the problem that keeps me from using labels except on give aways.

Ive heard that milk will hold a label on, just apply it with a paint brush, and the label will come right off in water. I havent tried it though.

- magno

Elmers Glue in stick form. I use a box around the edge of the label and then a X in the middle. Comes right off with a bit of a soak in water

super 77 spray adhesive! just a light spray and it is almost like original labels

also use to lay down carpet or destroy your lungs!

homebrewer_99 said:
I just put small labels on the caps. Saves my toner and printer.

That is similar to what I do. I have each recipe numbered in my brew log, and I put the number on the cap with a sharpie. For fliptops, I use a small piece of an Avery sticky label.

- magno

I've got some spray adhesive i used on a few bottles. When i bottle (the 5 batches i've brewed, 6 on the way, WOO!!) i use a sharpie on the cap... man, it DON'T come off which works GREAT in coolers. But for a showoff bottle i drew up a pic in paint, printed it out and used my spray. Looks great out of the fridge... hahaha, don't look too good out of the cooler. Anyone know any good ways of getting Cooler Friendly Labels? Would you have to have a crapload printed up somewhere or would you just have to own a copier or something so the images don't smear on contact with ice/water/beer?:mug:

Grimsawyer said:
I've got some spray adhesive i used on a few bottles. When i bottle (the 5 batches i've brewed, 6 on the way, WOO!!) i use a sharpie on the cap... man, it DON'T come off which works GREAT in coolers. But for a showoff bottle i drew up a pic in paint, printed it out and used my spray. Looks great out of the fridge... hahaha, don't look too good out of the cooler. Anyone know any good ways of getting Cooler Friendly Labels? Would you have to have a crapload printed up somewhere or would you just have to own a copier or something so the images don't smear on contact with ice/water/beer?:mug:

I take mine down to the local Kinko's and get them done in laser. Have not had a problem yet and it's realtively cheap to do.

I make my labels with photoshop, print & cut out, spray them with hairspray & attach to bottles with prit-stik. The hairspray stops the ink running. Works well for me. :tank:

I print mine at work too! (i'm not paying for all that ink)
I use milk to stick it on. Stays on really well, until you put them in an ice water cooler. Then its mostly labels floating on top.

Rubber cement works really well. It sticks but it doesn't stick a lot. Its really easy to peel it off.

I've found yet another use for rubber cement, the stuff is great for a lot of applications where you don't want glue runs and ink dilution from all the water used in most white glues.

Using RC to do my batch of wedding ale.

milk works great if your bottles are staying in the fridge if you want to be able to chill them in an ice bath/esky check out this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/esky-ice-water-proof-labels-224476/

OPM is right. I've used this glue for 3 batches already and I still have half the glue left over. It keeps in the fridge. When you want to reuse it just heat it up in water and its good to go. Just don't boil it. I would imagine boiling would result in ruining the gelatin.

Back