Banana Bread Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not smelling like bananas at all, not tasting either :(

My fermentation was done between 70-72 it was probably tow low :(

I bought all the ingredients today to do a partial mash with this. I can't wait. I do have a question though. How long did you leave it in the fermenter before you bottled it?

Thanks for the quick response. I do have to say the way you also explained how to do a partial mash made it easy to go from extract to that so thanks for the tutorial.

well just ordered the stuff for this one, i'm thinking of using a banana or two somewhere in the mix. Not sure if I should mashing them, boil them, or add them to the primary though.

I'd mash 'em. You're not going to get much flavor from them regardless, but the only way you'll get sugars out of them is to mash. They will just make a mess in your boil or primary and will impart little to no flavor and perhaps some unwanted proteins and flavor.

Like I said, you won't get much from them anyway, but it certainly adds to the fun.

I still have to make my Bathory Bathtub Ale with blood sausage in the mash! :D

Well it has been fermenting for a week now and smells great. I have kept it at 73. I ended up having to build a chiller for my batches because the house was getting way too hot. So now it stays at a constant 71 and is working like a charm.

We just brewed this Sunday. Our new method, since there are two of us, is to brew 10 gallons of each beer we make so we each get 5 gallons of our own. Then, of course, we brew two batches. So, a twenty gallon brew day is behind us and we're looking forward to doing it again.

Our first beer is a really hoppy red and the second is this Banana Bread Ale.

We made one major mistake which was only buying one vial of the yeast. We had to pour half of the vial into one carboy of 5-gallon wort, and the other half of the vial into the other carboy.

We were pretty worried about it but it started fermenting normally within 15 hours... which was the time it took for the properly pitched hoppy red to ferment.

And now I just read the post that underpitching adds to the banana flavor! Looks like we lucked out on accident.

The garage is 72 degrees. Hopefully that's warm enough.

I brewed this one about 7 weeks ago, I was unable to pull alot of banana flavor out of the yeasts fermenting at 71-72, but this has turned out to be a awesome dunkelweizen none the less. Great recipe even though I missed the Banana Bread flavors.

Brewed this on Monday.Changed up the recipe slightly just for fun. I was a little nervous as it took 48 hrs. to take off but know it's bubbling away. Usually I do a starter but just pitched a vial of WLP300 this time. I'm used to needing a blow off with this yeast but there is only about a half inch layer of krausen with brown gunk on top. Can't really smell bananas for sure but it smells good nonetheless. Looking forward to tasting this one though. I'm thinking about doing a secondary with vanilla beans in a week or so.

5.75lb. Wheat Malt
3.75lb. Munich Malt
1.00lb. Flaked Oats
0.25lb. Cara Pils
0.25lb. Crystal 60L
0.25lb. Caramunich Malt
0.25lb. Chocolate Malt
0.25lb. Victory Malt

1.50oz. Styrian Goldings (3.20%)
0.75oz. E Kent Goldings (4.50%)

I probably could of used either the 60L Crystal or Caramunich but I read the crystal adds body, color and improves head retention and the Caramunich adds caramel sweetness so I decided to use both. I transferred to secondary on three vanilla beans tonight after 11 days and gravity was 1.022 from 1.060 11 days ago. As noted above it took two days to take off so I hope I didn't have a stuck fermentation. Hopefully I'll pick up a few more points when I bottle in a week or so. If not it's just under 5 abv anyway but might be a little on the sweet side. Time will tell.

Bottled this today after 10 days in secondary. Finished at 1.022 which I had hoped would have finished a little lower but oh well. Sample tasted pretty good still. I did a little experiment too. Bottled 1/2 the batch and added 2 ounces of banana extract to the other 1/2. I'll let you guys know in 3 weeks what the verdict is.

Looks interesting! Is this something that a person (me) who doesn't like Hefes could enjoy? If not, maybe I'll just make some banananana bread and sip an imperial stout...

Sorry to bring this thread back for third time, but I recently tried that Wells Banana Nut Ale, and loved it. I was wondering if anyone has nailed this recipe to where it tastes something like it.

On a side note, I usually shop from Austin Homebrew but had trouble finding some of deathbrewer's ingredients... Anyone know a LHBS where I can order all the ingredients?

I didn't read all the posts, but has anyone tried this with Nottingham? I think I'm going to try this for my first all grain batch.

It would work fine and probably taste great, but you won't get the banana character from the yeast and it would probably be a much more dry and clear beer.

OK, been lurking the Banana beer threads for a while now and I have some thoughts and want to hear from the peop's that brewed this...
I get why we're using the WLP300...Low pitch rate and high ferm temps with that yeast will give banana esters:rockin:
...what I dont get is why we're using predominatly Wheat malt. I want to try a test batch on my 1 gallon system and I am thinking that the bready quality wouldn't come from wheat because my impression is that it is dry and slighly astringent when its end fermented.
What I am thinking of is swapping the base malt (wheat malt) with somthing like Maris Otter for a more nutty/baked good canvas on which to paint with Banana and omitting the Wheat malt altogether. I assume that the Bannana is comming from the yeast not the wheat (guessing). Your thoughts?:confused:

also...I think that this Banana note is exceptionally difficult to get in a beer that has aged for any length of time due to the volitility of the esters and the ability of the yeast to "clean up" those notes with aging. Im thinking younger is better (end ferment...secondary for 1-2 weeks and bottle..drink as soon as carbed 8-10 days)
Well's Banana Bread Beer is the only commercial version that I know of and they say on the label that they brew w/ bananas (I dont believe that adds much to the banana flavor regardless of where they use it, but makes it so they can sleep better calling it Banana beer) but it also says they add flavor. I think that if they thought they could get this flavor to stick around, with the resources they have as a commercial brewery, they would have done it. Therefore...I think adding a small amount of banana extract or spicing the secondary is not only legit, but maybe you have to. How 'bout it?

OK, been lurking the Banana beer threads for a while now and I have some thoughts and want to hear from the peop's that brewed this...
I get why we're using the WLP300...Low pitch rate and high ferm temps with that yeast will give banana esters:rockin:
...what I dont get is why we're using predominatly Wheat malt. I want to try a test batch on my 1 gallon system and I am thinking that the bready quality wouldn't come from wheat because my impression is that it is dry and slighly astringent when its end fermented.
What I am thinking of is swapping the base malt (wheat malt) with somthing like Maris Otter for a more nutty/baked good canvas on which to paint with Banana and omitting the Wheat malt altogether. I assume that the Bannana is comming from the yeast not the wheat (guessing). Your thoughts?:confused:

also...I think that this Banana note is exceptionally difficult to get in a beer that has aged for any length of time due to the volitility of the esters and the ability of the yeast to "clean up" those notes with aging. Im thinking younger is better (end ferment...secondary for 1-2 weeks and bottle..drink as soon as carbed 8-10 days)
Well's Banana Bread Beer is the only commercial version that I know of and they say on the label that they brew w/ bananas (I dont believe that adds much to the banana flavor regardless of where they use it, but makes it so they can sleep better calling it Banana beer) but it also says they add flavor. I think that if they thought they could get this flavor to stick around, with the resources they have as a commercial brewery, they would have done it. Therefore...I think adding a small amount of banana extract or spicing the secondary is not only legit, but maybe you have to. How 'bout it?

The original poster of this is a big Dunkelweisen fan as am I. That is why it has so much wheat and you are correct about the yeast. That is what contributes the banana flavor.

I'm in the same shoes as Brewskii. Right now in the process of getting all the AG equipment needed (8-10 gallon pot for the most part), and getting ready to brew this.

I am also wondering if replacing the wheat with Maris Otter may add to the breadiness. I was also thinking of throwing in some victory malt, and even adding vanilla and/or walnut extract to the secondary.

Any thoughts? Brewskii?

Cacaman said:
I'm in the same shoes as Brewskii. Right now in the process of getting all the AG equipment needed (8-10 gallon pot for the most part), and getting ready to brew this.

I am also wondering if replacing the wheat with Maris Otter may add to the breadiness. I was also thinking of throwing in some victory malt, and even adding vanilla and/or walnut extract to the secondary.

Any thoughts? Brewskii?

It may be a little while before I start my pilot batch but i am thinking I should be brewing it in the next month or so.
I agree with the secondary spices, if you like walnuts i suppose the extract could be valid but I would be SUPER careful cause its my opinion that it's easy to overdo it. Besides, between the MO and the Victory you are thinking of it would be fairly nutty on it's own.
I have a tile project in the kitchen, pumpkin spice ale, and a cream ale that all need my immediate attention... I'll see if I can work something up on BS and post it in a new thread cause I think what we're talking about is really different than the OP.

It may be a little while before I start my pilot batch but i am thinking I should be brewing it in the next month or so.
I agree with the secondary spices, if you like walnuts i suppose the extract could be valid but I would be SUPER careful cause its my opinion that it's easy to overdo it. Besides, between the MO and the Victory you are thinking of it would be fairly nutty on it's own.
I have a tile project in the kitchen, pumpkin spice ale, and a cream ale that all need my immediate attention... I'll see if I can work something up on BS and post it in a new thread cause I think what we're talking about is really different than the OP.

Please do so, and keep me posted please. I would never want to upset the almighty Deathbrewer for spamming his thread :D

Help........ I brewed this two weeks ago. I transferred to secondary today and measures a gravity of 1.030. Any suggestions?

zman said:
I pitched batch no. 2 on #8 of bananas this time and it sparked another fermentation....

How'd you do the bananas? Chunks, mashed-up ect? And what did you do to them B4 you racked to keep it clean

How'd you do the bananas? Chunks, mashed-up ect? And what did you do to them B4 you racked to keep it clean
First I started cutting them up like you would for a bowl of cereal. I realized quickly that that is too much of a PITA so I cut them vertically and then into smaller pieces. Bananas are clean already AFAIK. Their skin protects them. I did spray some starsan on the knife and in the bowl that I used to collect them in. Dumped them into the sanitized carboy and racked onto them.

I know this thread has been dead for some time now...but on the outside chance someone were to see it...does anyone have any insight on what the head formation on this beer is like? Just wondering if there is any issues like there is with the peanut butter recipes with the oil...Not a lot of banana experience but they do see a little 'oily'

I know this thread has been dead for some time now...but on the outside chance someone were to see it...does anyone have any insight on what the head formation on this beer is like? Just wondering if there is any issues like there is with the peanut butter recipes with the oil...Not a lot of banana experience but they do see a little 'oily'

My head retention was fine. Do you bottle or Keg? I carb kegs naturally then put them on the gas.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on adding 2 oz of banana extract to your bottling bucket to get a more banana taste to the beer?

I just brewed this about three weeks ago, racked it to the secondary with a vanilla bean on Sunday. We did a ten gallon batch and fermented it in an unplugged freezer, we used a hair dryer to keep the temp above 75 deg. I was very skeptical about getting Banana aromas or flavors with out using anything banana, the aroma coming from the freezer was so strong banana it was crazy. Going to give it another week or so to condition then I'll force carb. I'm really looking froward to drinking this one!!!

Oroginal Gravity 1.057
Secondary Gravity 1.021

So it sounds like a lot of people have been trying to do this recipe for a while with a lot of notes on how to approach it but has anyone brewed and drank a batch that thinks they nailed it?

After reading all of these posts I have to go to Total Wine & Beer to search for a Banana Bread Beer to buy and then head to the LHBS for ingredients.

I would love to brew a batch that someone stands by as a great beer that hits its target as a Banana Bread Beer. Cheers to all that have posted so far.
:ban:

whis121surfing said:
So it sounds like a lot of people have been trying to do this recipe for a while with a lot of notes on how to approach it but has anyone brewed and drank a batch that thinks they nailed it?

After reading all of these posts I have to go to Total Wine & Beer to search for a Banana Bread Beer to buy and then head to the LHBS for ingredients.

I would love to brew a batch that someone stands by as a great beer that hits its target as a Banana Bread Beer. Cheers to all that have posted so far.
:ban:

Wells makes a banana bread beer.

I've had it before it's good but I can't drink more than 1 at a time, it's pretty sweet

I'm gonna nail it on my next try ; but its always the next try isn't it?

It's gonna be a while before it hits my brew schedule though. I will bore you with the details upon my inevitable success :mug:

I went and picked up the stuff for 10 gals of this the other day. Wife brewed it on Sunday. We split it up into 2 5gal batches. We where a little low on our numbers

started mash @ 158deg ended @ 150deg

S.G. = 1.043

Fermentor #1 is @ 76deg
Fermentor #2 is @ 66deg

I didn't want 10gals of Banana beer that is why the different temps. I will update soon.

Well we kegged our beer last night. Here are the results

Beer that was fermented @76deg. tasted good with a slight banana taste to it. no banana smell at all. (hope after it carbs up it will have a banana aroma)

Beer that was fermented @66deg. tasted good no banana at all. I will let it carb up and do taste test with and commercial Dunkle weiss.

Threadus ressurectus!

Did the brew have more banana aroma after it was carbed? I am working on a banana ale right now and am very curious.

Thanks,
JB

It seems to be that people aren't really getting exactly what they want with this. That's just the vibe I'm getting.

My thoughts, ditch the wheat entirely. Go with a roggenbier type thing with maybe 10% rye.

I've haven't made this, but I have a fridge full of 3068 screaming for a party.

5 gallons.

6 lbs Pale Ale Malt
2 lbs Munich 10L
1.2 lb Rye Malt
1lb Honey malt
8oz Extra Special Malt (Briess)
2oz Blackprinz

At 70% this should be around 1.056. Figure mashing at about 154 and finish 1.013-1.016. The hops are irrelevant. I'd probably just throw a touch of magnum in the boil just to make it officially a beer. Something like 15-20 IBU.

Then what the hell. I might make a raisin or date tea and add that towards the end of fermentation along with a touch of nutmeg and vanilla bean.

Maybe 4 oz of either boiled or pureed.

It might taste like drinking urine out of an ashtray. Or it might be great.

Back