Tettnanger overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using 2 oz. of Tettnanger to hop an ale I've been tweaking.

1 oz. @ 60 min
.25 oz @ 45 min
.25 oz @ 15 min
.5 oz @ 10 min

At 4.5% AA this should give me an IBU of 23, which is where I want to be but will it taste horrible? I really like the flavor and aroma of Tettnanger but it's low AA and I've never heard of it being used for the bittering portion. Any ideas if this would work or not?

Thanks!

The main reason not to use it for bittering is expense. The low AA% means you have to use more of them, but if you're OK w/ 23 IBUs that's likely not a problem.

Thanks, guys! That's the answer I was looking for. I've got a lot left over and I thought, what the heck. Better use it or lose it.

Not sure what you're shooting for, but if it were me, I would move the 45 minute and 15 minute to flame out. You would need to adjust your bittering addition of course, but you would get nocticeably more flavor and aroma. I sure would like to try a pint of it when it's done :)

I like to add a strategic of ounce Tettanger to an IPA every so often. It really adds depth and complexity to a west coast hop schedule IMHO.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll add a little Magnum for the full boil and save that tettnanger for the end. Thanks for the advice. I don't mind experimenting. It's the only way to really find out what you like.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll add a little Magnum for the full boil and save that tettnanger for the end. Thanks for the advice. I don't mind experimenting. It's the only way to really find out what you like.

That sounds like a good idea- save that yummy noble hop for later, maybe even a dryhop.

Just got a pound of 2012 Tettnanger in! Already using an ounce if this morning in an IPA.

How is your beer coming along - have you brewed it yet?

I'm drinking a previous recipe right now. I've got 40 lbs. of grain coming in on tuesday or wednesday so there will be lots of brewing in my near future. I'll post an update when I brew next week. Cheers!

Getting ready to fire up the mash water. Took the day off work so I could have a relaxed pace and really enjoy this batch. Most importantly, SWMBO isn't home to see me "destroying the kitchen" :rockin:

9lb 2-row pale
4 oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black

Mash 154
Sparge 165

.25 oz Magnum 11.6% 60 min
.25 oz Magnum 11.6% 45 min
.25 oz Target 10.5% 45 min
.50 oz Tettnanger 6.5% 5 min

Please critique, if you don't mind. I'm still pretty new at this. Thanks, guys!

100_0217.jpg

To reduce the IBU's a little bit and use the hops I ordered for this particular brew. I don't like having .10 oz of something sitting in my fridge when I'm finished. I guess the more complete answer would be that I calculated after I ordered. What is that saying, "calculate twice, order once"? Something like that...

Latest posts

Back