Apfelwein Yeast Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhawk

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of apfelwein two weeks ago; at first there appeared to be yeast glaciers hovering around the top. Most of them have sunk to the bottom, but I am still hesitant to rule out an infection. I have been brewing 5+ years with no infections, but I am hesitant to crack open these bottles.

I used basic wine yeast (Montrachet) per my local store's recommendation. I did not filter this batch at all. All comments are helpful.

Note: My wife is advising I dump this, but I am far too practical to listen.

CIMG3310.jpg

CIMG3309.jpg

Open one and taste it. If it is infected you should know. It won't hurt you. You could try filtering it. I've decided that for all these fruit wines I've been making I'm going to filter from now on, because I seem to be plagued with stability problems (refermentations, malolactic fermentations etc.)

How long did you let it ferment? Mine with Montrachet is almost crystal clear.

I opened 6 and poured into a growler. Not all of the bottles have this issue so I am thinking that it was just the beginning of the batch? Anyways, it tastes fine (strong due to additional sugar added). What would it taste like if it was infected?

I opened 6 and poured into a growler. Not all of the bottles have this issue so I am thinking that it was just the beginning of the batch? Anyways, it tastes fine (strong due to additional sugar added). What would it taste like if it was infected?

It all depends on what the infecting organism is. Wines are not prone to the "gushing" caused by fusarium (which is pretty thoroughly grain-related, anyway), but most other critters will throw flavors or odors. Common infection indicators include sourness (most common), vinegar/ascetic (next most common), bitterness, mustiness/mildew smells, excessive sulphur odor, odd body/texture (graininess, oiliness, etc). In short - very little can grow in there that could possibly hurt you, but if it's infected, you'll know....it'll taste or smell "off".....most likely VERY "off". :D

Almost a sixer in and I'm not dead. Thanks for all the help, guys. I will just filter the ones that have floating clumps in them and go to town on the ones that don't.

Prost!

Latest posts

Back