Just kegged for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I just kegged up two batches of beer, changed all the orings and used keg lube. I tossed them in the fridge and set the pressure to about 30 psi, the tank pressure was at about 800 when I put them in and after about an hour it has gone down roughly 100 psi so I disconnected everything and went around and tightened all the fittings again, snugged down the regulator a little more then I would have liked actually since it's brass. Does it sound like a leak or is the beer just absorbing that much? I am going to let them chill for a few hours and do the rocking bit then turn off the gas overnight.

the cold fridge lowers the overall pressure inside the tank.. still the same amount of co2 in there.. if you warmed it up you would see it go back up

i wouldn't rock them.. if you have a couple days turn ure psi up to 35 and just leave it 2 days then turn it back to serving pressure.. never fails me.. i've only over carbed 1 beer using that method.. make sure you release the pressure in the keg before dialing back you regulator or you could get backflow if you dont have check valves installed

Sweet, it makes sense remembering chemistry class :D It's just nice to be re-assured.

The pressure is still dropping, it's down to 600 now :p Mind you the fridge hasn't shut off since I put the kegs in and they are only mildly cooling off so far, I turned the keg pressure down to 15 for the night.

You can't trust the tank gauge, my freshly filled tank (5#) redlines when it is in the fridge. It sits at 600 forever (many kegs worth) until it is close to empty, then it drops rapidly.

I agree with the other posts...CO2 gauges for determining full/empty are worthless...if you are still worried about a leak...mix up some water and dish soap and dab it on all your fittings to check for leaks. I use a small pump spray bottle.

Yeah it seems fine now, just like the first time I brewed I was worried, I am currently getting smashed on what is in the kegs and an very happy with the results, so much better then bottles :D

Back