Hop Growing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i live in northern Florida and this will be my first year growing hops. The people that i've talked to say that specially for down here you want to have morning sun and afternoon shade but the problem is that the spot i originally picked to plant them gets virtually no morning sun and a lot of afternoon sun. My question to all you guru's is, will this cook my hop plants to much??? I have one other spot i could possibly try that doesnt get as much afternoon sun, so should i maybe look at trying to switch over to that spot??? My mom is a certified "master gardener" and she said that getting afternoon sun shouldnt affect them to much but they don't teach you a lick of hops growing in gardening school. The hops im getting are Nugget, Willamette, and Chinook which all sites ive seen say that these hops grow good in almost any condition but idk for sure. Any opinions would really help. thanks

it's not morning vs. afternoon that it the issue, it's all day vs. part of the day. a full 12 hours of FL sun can be too much. so go with your morning shade/afternoon sun spot. it's not quite as desirable as the opposite combo (it's hotter in the afternoon, so shade is a little more advantageous then) but it's not a deal-breaker. keep an eye on water levels and don't let them dry out.

Back