testors modeling glue scent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearko520

Reaction score
i decanted a lacto starter made from sauermalz and .040 wort that was on the heat blanket fro a couple weeks, and did not get the nice pellicle that i see some people getting, or show much sign of activity. I was surprised to find that the ph had dropped to 4.1 and the taste was pretty nice. i left the grains in the jar with about an inch of liquid, and took off the heat to see what would happen at 72. I have a ropy like pellicle (i can post when i find a camera)- kind of looks a little like pedio, but the aroma is testors model cement. maybe nail polish remover, maybe acetone, but really a dead ringer for testors. and strong. I am curious about this, because i always thought that acetone smells were associated with fusels and hot fermentations, and the part that was decanted did not smell at all like this. does anyone have any thoughts on this, or similar experiences with fermentations that you can put in a plastic bag and get high from?

oh - also, i realize that acetone is the base for model cement and nail polish remover. This has that almost citrusy model cement thing going on with the acetone.

brett can produce copious amounts of ethyl acetate (your nail polish remover smell) very very quickly if it is exposed to lots of oxygen and the fermentation is other wise complete

I lost a F red in a few days like this. The pellicle was jostled around and didnt reform (fermentation likely complete) Bad thing about it is, the flavor will never dissipate, and the taste threshold is very very low compared to other compounds

i'm not planning on using this for anything, but i did pitch the part that was decanted. so you think maybe when i decanted it, it got infected with some brett 9or there was some brett hanging in there)? it did prob get some oxygen in the transfer- i shook up to move the smaller sediment. the jug i transferred to still smells clean. i'm just curious about this, as it seems to have happened so fast... yeah- i just sniffed it again. i have been known to do some f'd up things, and even I wouldn't consider putting this into a drink... thanks

i'm not planning on using this for anything, but i did pitch the part that was decanted. so you think maybe when i decanted it, it got infected with some brett 9or there was some brett hanging in there)? it did prob get some oxygen in the transfer- i shook up to move the smaller sediment. the jug i transferred to still smells clean. i'm just curious about this, as it seems to have happened so fast... yeah- i just sniffed it again. i have been known to do some f'd up things, and even I wouldn't consider putting this into a drink... thanks

making a "starter" from grain will grow up many other things than lacto. When people talk about doing this they always seem to ignore that fact

yeah- i realize it's a crapshoot- but i've had pretty good luck in the past. i am not getting it in the batch that i moved the decanted infection to, just in the original- it just seems weird that it happened so quickly- like a day after i decanted and took it off the heat. I kind of did it just to see what would grow- but now i guess i will dump it in my barrel marked "potential poison"

so it's lost the model cement citrus and smells exactly like that plasticy rubbery stuff that you could squeeze out of a tube onto a straw and blow plasticy bubbles from, back in the seventies. i don't know what it was called- but this is it- mega acetone.

Just about to dump my BW that got hit with ethyl acetate. Too bad, because it is wonderfully tart!

Mike T gave me some good advice. I only had foil on the carboy, no airlock. He said that he basically uses airlocks or solid bungs for all of his sours.

The carboy smells like nail polish remover, but the sample I took from under the pellicle was really nice and clean, and wonderfully tart. I'm very tempted to try bottling it at this point, but I'm not sure if the ethyl acetate will continue to develop.

i have this stuff all airlocked or plugged- but i tried the grain thing (which has worked before, but i guess there's room for a random event, there). So i haven't had the guts to taste what's in the "The gooey substance in each tube of Super Elastic Bubble Plastic was actually polyvinyl acetate mixed with acetone" batch- but i am letting it sit to see what happens. The grower that i decanted into, however (which seems to be moving into a chemical odory wasteland- we will see) -i did taste. It was awesome with a pH of 3.8- but it doesn't smell great. Sitting on this one too- will keep posted. Just ordered my culture today for the next batch of berliner...

Back