What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished off a Fat Heads Hop Juju (which I got direct from the brewer since they don't even bottle it) & DFH My Antonia...I think a Great Lakes Doppelrock is a great way to cap off a night of diverse delicious beers!

My first smash beer.. Admittedly made with DME but totally Fuggles. 60 minute, 30 minutes, 15 minutes and dry hopped. I call it FFF - Feckin Fantastic Fuggles.

It's not bad, but needs another couple if weeks more to fully condition.

Going to try the same recipe again but with different hops - Goldings next - (GGG -generally gorgeous goldings) to try to educate my palate with the subleties of the different varieties.

Might even try a few american hops!

My most favorite beer!!

73673997.jpg

Palo Alto Brewing's "Hoppy Ending"

A very good Pale Ale. Carbonation is spot on. and the hoppiness is indeed happy :)
Redhead on the label = win!

Unfortunately...air. Drank the last of my purple haze wheat last night. Got a lemon wheat and a hefeweizen days away from kegging!

Drinking my first apfelwein. It's hard to tell from the picture but it's crystal clear. Good carbonation and 10.3% ABV, this stuff is gonna be deadly...

DSCN1181.jpg

bruin_ale said:
Very nice.. I haven't tried that one, but I really like their Kilt Lifter.

I haven't had their Kilt Lifter, something about the name turns me off from Four Peaks Kilt Lifter back in AZ which I didn't like at all.

Traveling, goose island sofia, matlida, and summer time. Taste as good as it did before the merger. Hope it stays this way. I think they make some great beers!

Home brewed whatever. Don't care what category it's supposed to fall in but it tastes damn good and there are 40 pints of it in my cellar.

In an attempt to broaden my horizons, I chose this one from the BJCP commercial examples of a Scottish Ale. I figured I should try something representative to compare with my homebrew recipe.

BellhavenVhomeBrew.jpg

and after pouring

bvhpoured.jpg

I was really surprised at the complexity of the Belhaven. It has a smoky, nutty, earthy flavor with a huge after taste. The hops are fairly pronounced, though it rates somewhat low. My home brew in comparison is far sweeter with little after taste and much more subdued hops. I tried leaf EKG for this one and they came with a much lower alpha acid than anticipated. I suspect the imported leaf hops just don't retain the flavor like the pellets or American leaf hops.

In my next attempt I'm using the whitbread strain, open fermentation and first gold pellet hops in an attempt to add to the complexity.

Strangely, in the BSA, there's something to the aftertaste that distinctly reminds me of Grolsch...

My second all grain and first Belgian Pale Ale. Perfect carbonation and clarity. Great fruity nose and slightly spicy. I'll be sad when it's gone.

image-989402216.jpg

Back