Can you install swing caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
Can you put Swing Caps on bottles that dont have them?

I have some 22 oz bottles that I plan to move my lager into, I was wondering if I could buy and install swing caps?

Those are replacement swing-tops for bottles made to use them, not for just any beer bottle. Swing top bottles have two indentations near the top that allow the tops pictured there to be installed. As far as I know there is no such thing as turning a normal bottle into a swing top.

The neck of the bottle would have to be thicker for you to put the holes in, and you'd have to have a method of doing so. Really, the only solution is to buy the bottles.

There used to be a type of flippy that could be added to bottles. THere was a thread on here YEARS ago that someone had some amongst some old brewing supplies, maybe at an estate sale. IIRC I managed to find some info, but they were either no longer made or only available it Europe...but I want to say they were like 30-40 years old....If I can think of a key word or something I will try to search myslef. But I couldn't even begin to remember anything that might help me find that old post.....

Those flip caps have to anchor into two holes drilled into the lip of the bottle. There is no practical way to drill those holes yourself. You'll have to buy the special bottles. I've used them and they are not that much of a time-saver over a regular cap. Biggest time-saving comes because there a fewer bottles to cap when you use 22oz bottles vs 12 oz.

Back