Sour/Lambic categorization Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
Pellicle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_pellicle#Colonizers

http://www.brewery.org/library/OpenFerm.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/help-me-understand-beer-flavor-wheel-38784/

I have a suggestion, but VERY little knowledge to contribute.

Could someone with some experience please post a list of the varieties, or spectrum/"flavor wheel" of lambic beers? Us newbs stumble in here to lambic forum and you guys are having conversations in some foreign tongue. ...maybe sticky it?

Are there skeleton styles that get built like different types of houses, or some other kind of analogy that could be drawn? Maybe bread - with the one end being white bread and the other being some primitive hand needed grit encrusted hard roll.

Thanks,
Bill

1. As always, you can consult the BJCP style guidelines.
*One area the style guides is deficient is in the newer, non-style-specific "American Wild Ale" category.

2. Read "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow

3. Go into upscale liquour store with a) $20 in hand and b) the Beer Advocate list of best beers from the "wild" categories and get educated/drunk.

1. As always, you can consult the BJCP style guidelines.
*One area the style guides is deficient is in the newer, non-style-specific "American Wild Ale" category.

2. Read "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow

3. Go into upscale liquour store with a) $20 in hand and b) the Beer Advocate list of best beers from the "wild" categories and get educated/drunk.

Hmmn, awesome. $20 and a drunk!

OK, I'll see what I can find outside the forum.

Are there any beers sold comercially that emulate a "wild" beer? I see Belgian listed in the conversations...

Thanks for the info.

...stuff looks spendy. I supose I could google the price somehow.

Have you tried the New Glarus "Unplugged". I mentioned it earlier, and since you're posting in this forum.... It seems quite strong flavored.

Thats a nice feature the mods have with the related threads at the bottom of the page.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/questions-you-lambic-sour-ale-folks-161233/

All of the beers I mentioned should be in the $7.99- $12.99 a bottle price range. They are 750ml bottles though....

Which New Glarus Unplugged? The Cranlambic? The Berliner Wiess? They do a new one every two or three months.

It's the "Old English Porter". I see the label now up on the neck of the bottle.

I'm not going to drink it though. My wife who is pretty adventurous wrinkled her nose up at just the smell.

I enjoyed the Old English Porter. It's unlike almost any other beer I've had, although many share certain elements in common.

That said, as much as I like a lot of the things NG releases, the berliner, old english porter and even Cran-bic all seem sour, but not terribly 'funky.'

The suggestions listed earlier are indeed good places to start. For some decent examples of American sours, try: Jolly Pumpkin beers (La Roja is a good one in particular,) Ommegang Ommegeddon, and Victory Wild Devil. There are some other great ones too. Those just came to mind quick. I think you'll notice very quickly the difference between the funk in these and the sourness in the NG stuff. All good though.

More suggestions:

La folie- new belgium
supplication and consecration from russian river
Duck duck gooze
Duchess de bourgoune

$20? maybe 40 or 50 if you really want to try most of the styles. In the portland area they have a "sour beer tasting" class for 35 that was really neat. Got to try maybe 8-10 different beers, and learn about the different beasties. One of my favorite parts was when they did single brett beers, so you could see what each strain (B, C & L) would do to the beers. I decided I liked L the best.

Just an FYI - some of you gus may already have picked up on this. WB-06 yeast makes beer sour just on its own. I'm finding a lot of my friends and my wife like the flavor.

Back