Pin lock vs. Ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgertown

Reaction score
Is there a difference? Other then physical appearance. Is one better then the other? Is one easier to use? Cheaper? Longer lasting? harder to find?

:rockin:

I see a lot more ball lock, but that's just me. I really don't think it makes much difference.

I like the relief valves better on ball locks However the dimensions on pinlock are better shorter fatter kegs. But if you have your own bottle and disconnects I see no difference

I like the size of pin locks better and I like the connections better.

I also like coke products more than pepsi products.

My first keg was a pin so I just stuck with them. I think you'll find that ball locks are more available.

We use both, the pinlocks have a slight advantage in that they are easer to get the right connections on the right posts when your mental capacity is diminished (In a drunken stupor).

I like pin locks better mainly because I never have a hard time getting the disconnects off. Sometimes the ball lock disconnects get stuck if they have been on a while. Plus I can get 6 ball lock in my kegerator but only 5 pin lock. But really it doesn't matter. I only switched from pin to ball because I wasn't able to find pin lock kegs when I was expanding.

I found a cool video that explains the differences.

Edit: It would help if I linked to the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer ball locks because it's easier to remove the posts. I managed to mangle the pins on a couple of stubborn posts even with a notched socket.

Somebody mentioned having a hard time removing ball lock QDs. I did too until I started lubricating the o-rings.

Back