All Hail Wyeast 3787!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizak

Reaction score
Brewing a Tripel today, got my starter going before I went to bed last night. This morning I find a 4" krausen on my 1.5L starter with a stirplate going. Somehow this yeast still managed to defy gravity while spinning around a gallon jug at around 120 rpms. Think I'll need a blow off tube? ;) Man I love that yeast. :rockin:

YES! You will need a blow off tube that will fit into the neck of the carboy rather than into a drilled stopper. That is, unless you want to be cleaning your ceiling! I use this yeast for most of my Belgians (except for my Wit) and really like it aside from the mess it can make. Maybe I should be using a 7 gallon carboy for these 5 gallon batches!

Thanks. I was being sarcastic, I've used this yeast before. Last time I could here blow-off belches from my basement while I was watching TV in my living room! It's certainly a monster yeast.

Do you use the incremental sugar feedings to help it finish dry?

I will be with this one. Last couple of times were with Dubbels, so it wasn't a ton of sugar. I'll add 2 lbs of light candi syrup from this thread.

LOL, The karusen is like styrofoam! I have a patersbier going right now that is 5 gals and it blew off in a 7 gal bucket.....but boy did the room smell good.

Last week the krausen on the starter hit the bottom of the foam stopper on a stir plate! It was only 1500mls in a 3000ml flask!

i pitched this w/o a starter into 5 gallons of patersbier. 15 hour lag and four days later, it's still blowing out of my 6 gal carboy. this beast would ferment turpentine!

i pitched this w/o a starter into 5 gallons of patersbier. 15 hour lag and four days later, it's still blowing out of my 6 gal carboy. this beast would ferment turpentine!

It just finished blowing off today for me, pitched into 1.066 wort on Friday night. Going to add two pounds of sugar syrup tonight, can't wait to see it flip out again. It took off sooo quick this time, week old smack pack and starter, just got the yeast as it came off the truck from Wyeast.

Latest posts

Back