Please help Alabama!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
For anyone that doesn't know Alabama is now one of two states that won't let decent beer be sold and right now it is almost solely due to one senator who refuses to let it come up for a vote. If you want to help you can contact Senator Hank Erwin via Twitter and urge him to let HB373 come up for a vote.

to do so add this as a message in twitter
@SENATORERWIN #alpolitics #fth (insert message)

It could be something like

Please let HB373 come up for a vote, or Please just go to the bathroom so the
Senate can vote on HB373

more info here Birmingham Libertarian Examiner: It's time to tweet the hops free

Done. I also have my ticket to the beerfest in Birmingham in a few weeks, which if I'm not mistken benefits Free the Hops.

Thanks Austin - hopefully we can get some more people to chime in. This story is starting to gain grown nationally, so it would be nice if this guy was flooded with notes from around the country that he shouldn't have the ability to single handedly trump the desires of an entire state.

Not to mention if you read about him he is a total nutcase, according to him Katrina was God's wrath for the sinfulness of New Orleans and his argument against higher abv beer was that if this bill passes the streets will be littered with the bodies of high school kids.

I called up my sister today to talk to her about this since she lives in Montgomery. I mentioned that maybe they could vote on it while he ran to the bathroom, to which she replied by saying they have a history of not going to the bathroom, as illustrated in this article. In Alabama, Senate Ends Bitter Rift Over Leader - The New York Times

FTA:

"Mr. Siegelman called a special session of the Legislature to solve the dispute, but tension ran so high that Mr. Windom refused to leave the chamber even for a bathroom break during the round-the-clock session, lest Democrats find a way to replace him. To illustrate his plight, Mr. Windom announced on Sunday that he felt obliged to urinate in a jug behind the podium during the negotiations, and the remark was picked up by headline writers, radio talk shows and national television programs, making the situation appear ridiculous."

Hopefully this thing will pass next week when they reconvene.

Yeah, to call Alabama politics sad is the understatement of the century.

Back