after a long winter - it's time to brew again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The temps are soaring and should be in the upper 60s tomorrow! I need to brew!

I've had a long couple months of only making wines and meads which won't be ready to drink until the fall :mad:

Anyone else ready for spring? I saw a robin today, the snow is gone from the yard, the hoses are thawed out -- tomorrow I shall brew!

If only I had to worry about warming up my fermenters!!! :D
Yesterday and today we had to kick on the A/C.
P.S. Revvy, Someone told me about you sticking a T-shirt over your carboys, and setting the whole thing in a tube of cool water? I am thinking of doing the same thing with frozen 2-liter bottles, alternating them thoughout the day. If you could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Spring??? What is this thing you speak of??? it snowed again today and it is 14 degrees out here in Michigan...

So whatcha gonna brew?

Revvy, I'm sure we'll get another big blast - we usually do in March, but I'm gonna take advantage of the weather.

I'm brewing what I call "Hoppy Amber Madness" (HAM) - I bought the ingredients awhile ago, but haven't got around to brewing:

9lbs 2-row
1 lb victory
1 lb crystal 40L
2 oz chocolate

1 oz. Chinook @ 60
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 20
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 5

If only I had to worry about warming up my fermenters!!! :D
Yesterday and today we had to kick on the A/C.
P.S. Revvy, Someone told me about you sticking a T-shirt over your carboys, and setting the whole thing in a tube of cool water? I am thinking of doing the same thing with frozen 2-liter bottles, alternating them thoughout the day. If you could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Search on here "swamp Coolers" or prolly any thread about temp control...we discussed it a heck of a lot last summer...But it's not a big deal...you got the idea...and a fan will lower the temp even further...I have actually got my primaries down to about 58 in August in my loft (which has westerly windows, and I have come home with the air off to find it 90 in there.)

Basically you get a big container, t-shirts and frozen bottles...and a fan too if you are inclined...the t-shirts act as wicks...

fermenting.jpg

You gotta remember that I'm in the high country in Arizona - 7,000 feet. Believe it or not, we get cold here in AZ too :) well, at least parts of AZ

Yes, that makes me LOL about AZ. I was born and raised in Tucson, and lived there 22 years. During that time I saw snow TWICE.

Go up to Pinetop and you see snow every damn winter. (Oh yeah, and little to NO cacti!)
-Me

Search on here "swamp Coolers" or prolly any thread about temp control...we discussed it a heck of a lot last summer...But it's not a big deal...you got the idea...and a fan will lower the temp even further...I have actually got my primaries down to about 58 in August in my loft (which has westerly windows, and I have come home with the air off to find it 90 in there.)

Basically you get a big container, t-shirts and frozen bottles...and a fan too if you are inclined...the t-shirts act as wicks...

fermenting.jpg

Now I dont feel so bad about letting my house get up to the 80's!
BTW... was that a 2.5g batch you had going in that tub as well? Based upon the amount of bottles you had, I might need to add more.

Yes, that makes me LOL about AZ. I was born and raised in Tucson, and lived there 22 years. During that time I saw snow TWICE.

Go up to Pinetop and you see snow every damn winter. (Oh yeah, and little to NO cacti!)
-Me

you know it Joe! People think Arizona is all desert and cactus and wild-west shoot-outs....

Pinetop is the one of the prettiest places in the county in my opinion

you know it Joe! People think Arizona is all desert and cactus and wild-west shoot-outs....

Pinetop is the one of the prettiest places in the county in my opinion

wait! there aren't wild-west shoot-outs?!?!:confused:

So i did get to brew today and it was glorious!

The western chorus frogs were chirping in the background from the nearby lake, I hit all my temps, and the beer is tucked away in its fementer.

Ah yes - I sure hope spring is here --- although Pinetop usually gets some snow in March.

and Irish -- no shoot-outs during the brew session today!

Back