Very Little carbanation- HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjtravis

Reaction score
I have made three batches so far. Each with corn sugar. All were 6 gallon batches. The first batch we used 2/3 cup and it had hardly any carbonation. The second batch I screwed up and caramelized the sugar (3/4 cup), whoops, but that one has carbonated alright. The third batch I used over a cup, about 1.2cups of corn sugar. That one is about a week and a half old and it has carbonated about as much as the second batch. I can not get as much carbonation as I would like. I get bubbles but none of that carbonated feeling. Any suggestions?
Steve

When you drank the beer, did it still have a sweet taste? This would be an indication of incomplete fermentation. And what was the temp the bottles were stored at?

Kai

sjtravis said:
The third batch I used over a cup, about 1.2cups of corn sugar. That one is about a week and a half old and it has carbonated about as much as the second batch. I can not get as much carbonation as I would like. I get bubbles but none of that carbonated feeling. Any suggestions?
Steve
I would say that you definitely need more than 3/4 cups of corn sugar for 6 gallons of home brew. You are increasing the amount of beer by 20% so the corn sugar should also be increased. I would say 1 cup should do the trick. 1 1/4 cup would probably still be OK as well.
When you talk about the beer having a certain carbonation after a week and a half, my brews have always taken about 3 weeks of bottle conditioning before they are at their peak. Your third batch will probably be more carbonated in a week or two.
Also, make sure you stir the beer well to evenly distribute the corn sugar in the beer.
Hope this helps.

I dod't know where you live but if you live in a northern state and store beer on a basement floor that is cold it can take a long time to cacbonizw. I am the impatient kind and a long time storage for me is 5 days.

David

The temp is around 75 now. It did get cold and the temp in the room dropped to a little above 65. I want somehting carbonated like bud. They are getting slightly more carbonated, but not to the level i would like.

also, length of time in secondary is a consideration as well. A longer secondary fermentation requires longer time for the yeast to eat up your priming sugar.

Back