Q!uestion abour force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
I just set up my kegerator. If I added 40 psi and shook the hell out of my keg, how long do you guess it takes the foam to go down so I don't get liquid/foam when I open the pressure relief valve? I know, I know- I should have waited but I gots to have my beer!

Yeah, go away and forget about it for 30 minutes or so. it should be fine. i usually force at 30 psi. it'll take about 2 days at that psi go get up to pressure. shake, then come home from work tomorrow, shake, before going to bed shake, and when you get home from work on the day after that you'll be carbed up. then drop to about 10 psi and CONSUME! i always drink to early too! haha just have some patience : )

newell456 said:
I just set up my kegerator. If I added 40 psi and shook the hell out of my keg, how long do you guess it takes the foam to go down so I don't get liquid/foam when I open the pressure relief valve? I know, I know- I should have waited but I gots to have my beer!

I've never carbed a keg in this manner, but I've read posts by other people saying that thhey can get a keg carbed enough to drink after about 20-30 minutes of shaking on high pressure.

I force carb at 35 psi for 48 hours, then purge and set to serving pressure. I usually pull a few pints after 48 hours, but the beer is at it's best once it's had another 2-3 days to equalize at serving pressure.

don't forget, you can always force carb at a slower rate, with no shaking. set it at serving psi, and forget about it for 7-12 days.

I do this because it helps add a little more aging to the beer, and all the yeast settles to the bottom, so the first pint removes the yeast, and its usually under-carbed since the dip tube and tap line won't really carb properly (only matter if the picnic tap's already attached when you start carbing).

One thing I've learned is that kegging makes it easier to 'rush' to drinking stage, so I think quite a few people would benefit from a little aging to get rid of the green-ness.

eschatz said:
Yeah, go away and forget about it for 30 minutes or so. it should be fine. i usually force at 30 psi. it'll take about 2 days at that psi go get up to pressure. shake, then come home from work tomorrow, shake, before going to bed shake, and when you get home from work on the day after that you'll be carbed up. then drop to about 10 psi and CONSUME! i always drink to early too! haha just have some patience : )

30 minutes was a charm. I tried the relief valve once before I posted my question and learned to always open the pressure relief valve by covering it with a hand towel! It's just about right, but it might improve with a tiny bit more carbonation.

Just set it at serving pressure, shake the bejeebers out of it for five minutes and leave it along for a couple or few days. If you had it serving temperature or below, it should be ready without any additional shaking, adjusting, purging, equalizing, or other futzing around.

TL

newell456 said:
30 minutes was a charm. I tried the relief valve once before I posted my question and learned to always open the pressure relief valve by covering it with a hand towel! It's just about right, but it might improve with a tiny bit more carbonation.

Beer needs about 5 weeks to age at fermentation temp. (2 in the secondary and 3 more post secondary). I think few days to few weeks of cold conditioning also helps.

Carbonated green beer is still green beer. Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.

abracadabra said:
...Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.
Amen.

I know when I'm about to float a keg when the beer clarity is like glass and the taste is like nirvana.

My smaller beers are good a lot earlier (2-3 weeks), but the medium/high Pale Ales...definitley do well with and extra 2-3 weeks.

For me...35PSI for 36-48 hours...no shakey.

abracadabra said:
Beer needs about 5 weeks to age at fermentation temp. (2 in the secondary and 3 more post secondary). I think few days to few weeks of cold conditioning also helps.

Carbonated green beer is still green beer. Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.

It wasn't too young by any means. I rushed the carbing- not the aging, and it turned out just fine.

Latest posts

Back