BeyerDyke Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP004
Yeast Starter
Y
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 days @ Room
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ Room
Type: All Grain
Date: 12/26/2007
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 12.55 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.2 %
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.40 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 18.6 IBU Calories: 190 cal/pint
Est Color: 15.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Sparge with 10.08 gal of 168.0 F water (may need to split up sparge volume into 2 sparges)

Notes:
We've brewed this a number of times, and this is our "House Ale" so far. It's tried and true, and just about everyone I know (BMC crowd) at least enjoys it. It was intended as a Smithwick's clone, but turned out to taste nothing like Smithwicks - but sooo much better.

Hey Jezter,

Gonna crack open the first one tonight! Been almost 2 weeks in the bottle, at a cool 55 degrees! Will update with my modified recipe and tasting notes in the following weeks as it develops!

Thanks for the base recipe!

I made this the other day to get ready for St. Patrick's day. The only variation I made was I used a pound of carapils because I forgot to have the LHBS separate the MO and that (already had the patent).

It smells great however and like literally within 2 hours had started fermenting. After just a day it was rocking!

I changed this beer only slightly, due to my lower efficiency, and used a few more hops, about 22 IBU's. Falls within all parameter for Irish Red Ale Classification. Brewed 12/30/08. Came out very close to gravities stated in original recipe, the measured gravities were: OG 1.048 FG 1.014

This beer has developed nicely - I seem to like it more with every bottle I try. It has a dark red almost brown color. Very smooth flavor, malty, creamy with just enough hop backbone. Easy drinking. No heavy or sharp flavors to be found. Actually lighter in flavor than I expected. Somewhat comparable to Smithwicks in color and body.

Don't ruin your palette with a heavily hopped beer before this one! I made the mistake of grabing one of these Irish Ales after drinking the last IPA in a case I was drinking. The subtle flavors here are best enjoyed with a clean palette.

Should please even a slightly adventurous BMC lover, who isn't scared by its darker color (which belies its smoothness and lighter body) A great choice for St. Patty's Day!

I would really like to try this one on nitrogen. I expect it would be excellent. (Ahhhh.....another brewery gadget for the wish list.... :) )

Overall, a good recipe! Thanks, Jezter6! :mug:

Awesome! This has been our most brewed recipe around the house, and the one we use to brew with others so they can enjoy our favorite brew.

If you get a chance for a pic, I'd love to see one. I don't have any in process right now (but I need to do so very soon) so I can't post a pic of my own.

I cracked one open for the first time today. I was, well not so impressed. Mine has like an odd, dry malty taste to it which I've never experienced before. It could just still be young and I did use to much carapils so I decided to stash the rest in the cellar and wait it out rather than give them out tomorrow.

Back