Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what are the specification of a good water filter or maybe better what is a good brand/model i can buy ?

I prefer something inline so I can connect inline.

Much appreciated!!!

Q

At least get some kind of carbon filter to help remove chlorine. Just about anything that you can pick up at HD, Lowes, Ace or whatever.

Thanks Hackwood.

Any specs on the filter itself ?

I am installing a sink that will have additional output ( 3/4" pipe ) besides the faucet. That output will use a Quick disconnect and it will have a filter on/off valve so I need to install a filter that will fit well below the sink and will allow me to change the filters easily.

Hope this helps better understanding my point of view.

I use this one. I built a pvc cylinder that holds it and screws onto my faucet. On the out end I put another connector that allows me to attach a garden hose. It works great for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cluckk, Can you send me a picture when get a chance ?

Thanks in advance!
Q

Sure. Here it is disassembled:
2013-03-29 10.35.54.jpg

And Here is it assembled:
2013-03-29 10.37.41.jpg

It fits tightly within the main tube and the two smaller tubes keep it pretty centered. One end (the in) connects straight to my hose connection with a female end and the other (the out) has a hose connector with a male end.

I use one that is similar to cluckk's, only it's C shaped so I can hang it on the kettle/cooler. Here's a good writeup on the project making it an L shape: BYO

I actually based mine on the byo article you mention. However, I couldn't find the correct elbow so opted for altering it to make it straight. It actually works better for me with the way I do my brewing.

What are you trying to filter out? Chlorine? Dissolved solids?
What is your water report?

Thanks a lot for the helpful inputs. I totally get it, Chuckk's is very straight forward as well as the one from BYO site. I am going to check if I find the elbow if not I will try to make it straights. I am thinking to use some quick disconnects fittings to connect it straight to the HLT and remove it at will.

For a while I thought about buying the homedepot one but this might cheaper and fun to put together.

One question thou on the filter itself, I have seen that it removes clorine and some other things but is the outcome (water) drinkable ? I have seen nowhere stating that it is. :confused:

Q

cluckk & all,

Can you tell me what is the diameter of the filter, is it 2" ? Does it fit in a 2" ID PVC pipe ?

Thanks for the pics!

Thanks!

Back