Yeast for Hoppy Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubHead

Reaction score
Looking at Wyeast 1275 and other strains for hoppy brews. Been using S-05 with good results but looking to try something else. Really like Jai Alai for the complex, clean hop taste and some threads (although inconclusive) have posts about CC using 1275.

Opinions/experiences whether related to Jai Alai or not are appreciated. :)

it would be nice just to see how it does in your hoppy ale compared to US-05. i've tried a few yeasts for my hoppy ales (not 1275) and have always returned to US-05 which has been pretty fool proof for me.

CityOChampBrew said:
if you have access to whitelabs try their cal ale strains.. wlp001 and wlp007

Wlp007 is "Dry English Ale", not Cal Ale. Not sure if I misread your post, but just in case :). And FWIW, S-05 and Wlp001 are essentially the same yeast.

Wy1275 is Burton Ale yeast, which would make sense for hop-forward beers. Keep in mind that's a British strain, however, which can mean more esters than a neutral yeast like S-05/001/1056.

Considering Pacman and 1335 from Wyeast if I can get both strains. I'm thinking these will attenuate the higher gravity IPAs whilst leaving a bit of the hop flavor.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Considering Pacman and 1335 from Wyeast if I can get both strains. I'm thinking these will attenuate the higher gravity IPAs whilst leaving a bit of the hop flavor.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Heck, yeah! I looooove Pacman for all my 'Murican style ales. Great ferment, drops clear, neutral flavor, beautiful beer!

Wlp007 is "Dry English Ale", not Cal Ale. Not sure if I misread your post, but just in case :). And FWIW, S-05 and Wlp001 are essentially the same yeast.

Wy1275 is Burton Ale yeast, which would make sense for hop-forward beers. Keep in mind that's a British strain, however, which can mean more esters than a neutral yeast like S-05/001/1056.

you are correct.. I meant to type wlp051 but 007 is a good yeast for ipas too

Would fermenting at the lower temp (62 F) reduce esters when using 1275?

I've heard often that S05 and WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 are the same strain- but it my experience WLP001 is different than S05. It accentuates the hops more, and flocculates better/faster for me.

I'd still try the WLP001, as it's my favorite strain for hoppy beers!

Another one is an expected one. It's Wyeast 1335. I first started using it to make a Surly Furious clone. It's a British strain- but I found that it's very clean with a nice dry finish and the hops shine.

If you can get your hands on some Bell's beer, culturing up their propriety strain is pretty easy. It's by far my favorite strain for any American styles, especially IPAs. WLP001 is apparently pretty similar and I have yet to do a side by side comparison of the two, but either by actual preference or my mind telling me one is superior, I always tend to favor the Bell's profile.

i used to use wlp051 for all my ipas and pale ales but i thougth some of the fruity esters it threw (while a nice compliment to some beers) ended up covering up a lot of the hop flavor. I switched over to pacman since then

007 for my IPAs is the go to yeast in my home brewery. I split a batch between 001 and 007 as a test. 007 has better body and hop flavor.

Recently decided on wyeast 1187 since it reads favorable for IPA and stouts. Got both a stout and an IPA fermenting now. We shall see.

Can't go wrong with WLP090 as long as you can control your temps closely and oxygenate sufficiently. Ferments FAST, drops HARD, is very clean and wonderfully hop-forward.

Wyeast 1187 is a delightful strain. It's been 8 days since pitching yeast in the IPA and gravity has dropped from 1.076 to 1.016. Tasted the hydro sample and surprised how pronounced the hops and malt flavor come through. Happy with the results. :)

Back