Cold crash trouble.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Anybody ever have problems with a 3 piece airlock. When Cold crashing ? My water level dropped down into the area below the holes in cap. Worried me that wasn't good. Added more star -San water three times total.

I use vodka just for that purpose. If it gets sucked back in, oh well. When the liquid in your carboy cools, it basically shrinks creating a vacuum which sucks your star san back into your carboy. No problem with your air lock, just the laws of nature. A one piece may not suck back as much as a three piece.

Yea, 3 piece airlocks will cause suckback when you apply negative pressure (cold crash- the air inside the carboy contracts as it cools). 3piece airlocks or just using an aluminum foil cap will prevent that issue, but it will continue to be a problem as long as you use 3piece airlocks. Use vodka or sanitizer in your airlock if you're concerned and don't want to buy new airlocks.

Latest posts

Back