Mash Tun Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
While brewing yesterday I got a stuck mash. After about a gallon came out the well appears to run dry. Of course it was not. I ended up having to use my mash paddle to rub back and forth on the braiding to get my mash liquid out.

End result, the steel braiding is ruined. I now need to replace it. I do not want to go back to braiding.

I am using an upright cooler. My LABS sells a mesh attachment that will do the job but I am thinking of either making a PVC or Cooper manifold.

What are your thoughts and successes?

I made an octagon shaped cpvc manifold, modeled after one i saw in another thread, and it works great. I wouldn't go back to the braid.

If you get a stuck mash, pump water into the outlet valve of the tun. The force will open whatever jigger you use for a strainer.

I am using a round keg--with a single loop of soft copper w/hacksaw cuts on the bottom. It has never stuck.

This one works great, 1/2" copper. I used this for my 5 gallon cooler, I actually recently made a larger one for a 10 gallon round cooler. I've never had a stuck sparge except for a wheat I did (I know add rice hulls to do a wheat). After reading Palmer's book, I wanted a design that would create the shortest path for the wort at various points all over the bottom. I have to admit, it takes some work. I saw a 12" false bottom at my LHBS for $40 which might be nice too.

imag02522-54868.jpg

Jay bird who is on this forum alot can also assist in a false bottom that is hinged and has a dip tube and I have not heard of any stuck mashes that way. I use a stainless false bottom with dip tube and it works fine. I have had to stir the mash once in a while mainly with wheat and rice hulls can help alot with flow.

@Andrew, the braid was already showing signs of crushing but it was pumpkin that did it in. I used a ton of rice hulks but the braiding was already going bad.

Back