ECY wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I missed out on the last ECY offering, anybody have any they are willing to part with? I know this is an odd question, but I would love to get my hands on some Bug Farm or any others for that matter, I would be willing to pay, trade or do whatever. I have some Pacman I could trade.

You might be able to find somebody with some washed yeast or cake from a prior batch they would trade or give you.

I keep meaning to try to score one of the offerings but by the time I see there's a new offering it's already sold out. =/

The most recent sale was set up a bit differently. Joe notified everyone on the mailing list 24 hrs in advance of when they would be for sale on his website so people had a better chance to get in there and order. It was still all sold out in a matter of minutes.

I have 3 beers sitting on cakes right now, they are all waiting to be bottled in the next few weeks. I might be able to spare a bit of washed yeast.

Coff, really interested in a bit of a wash if you could spare some down the road. Let me know please. What mailing list are you referring to?

Princeton Homebrew is the exclusive seller of ECY because the guy who puts ECY blends together (Al B) doesn't make that big of batches. I believe I heard or read he puts them together in his garage.

Apache, yeah I head similar, but I have also heard they rock and want to give them a shot. Every time I go to order one; sold out..

Princeton Homebrew is the exclusive seller of ECY because the guy who puts ECY blends together (Al B) doesn't make that big of batches. I believe I heard or read he puts them together in his garage.

They are not exclusive anymore, love2brew carries some strains, but they go quick there as well. Looks like right now they have ECY British Mild and Trappist Ale...

http://www.love2brew.com/East-Coast-Yeast-Liquid-Yeast-s/217.htm

That said, I get all mine from Joe at solarhomebrew and have the Saison Single strain, Burton Union, and Farmhouse Saison en route.

Coff, really interested in a bit of a wash if you could spare some down the road. Let me know please. What mailing list are you referring to?

You can subscribe to the mailing list on this page.

http://www.solarhomebrew.com/East_Coast_Yeast.html

I could probably send you a vial of BugCounty ECY20, I have a low gravity Blond on it right now that I will probably move to secondary in about 2 weeks. Maybe we can do a little trade, some yeast for a bottle or two of your brew?

Coff, that would be awesome, would gladly trade some brews! I have a really nice RIS aged on port soaked oak cubes, cocoa and ancho chilis and a Saison using the Dupont strain. I could toss in a bottle of Burboun County Stout to sweeten up the deal..

Sounds good to me, I'll get back to you in a few weeks when I rack. If you dont hear from me feel free to send me a PM to follow, you know, just in case I forget. :drunk:

I would love to get some Bug Farm. Sounds wonderful. If anyone is willing to part with some rinsed yeast, please let me know!!

barrooze said:
I would love to get some Bug Farm. Sounds wonderful. If anyone is willing to part with some rinsed yeast, please let me know!!

Me too. I can offer some of the Allagash house sacc strain as a trade.

Not to open up the flood, but I just cleaned a 35 gallon wine barrel and I am going to fill it with plambic in the next several weeks. Full on traditional turbid mash etc. I would love to get some bug farm in there as it will be used over and over. I could trade some interesting homebrew or commercials just let me know. I am just north of Boston.

I should be able to accommodate some folks shortly.

I just washed some ECY20, only got 2 jars though. One is spoken for and the other I was going to save for myself but I could be swayed for the right trade.

I'll be transferring a ton of beer next weekend and could have the following ECY for trade.

ECY01 Bugfarm 5 (been on the cake 7 months)
ECY03
ECY21
ECY10

Coff,

I would be more than happy with ECY01 Bugfarm 5. I could trade some frozen (with glycerin) Schneider-weisse Hefe yeast that I cultered up and has made some great hefe weizen and a great Weizenbock (it is the aventius strain) let me know and I could do a different trade as well. Thanks.

I don't have much to trade, but I'd love to get some BugFarm 5. What are you looking for in exchange?

I'll update this thread next weekend when I wash the yeast so I know how much I have.

I have a ton of white labs vials laying around, I'm wondering if I could wash the yeast and package it up in those vials so I can't get more out to more people. Anyone see any issues with that?

I have a ton of white labs vials laying around, I'm wondering if I could wash the yeast and package it up in those vials so I can't get more out to more people. Anyone see any issues with that?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I see no issues with using the vials. :mug:

Sounds great. White lab vials are a good method and we can always use a starter. Let me know if you are interested in the Schneider Weisse yeast as a trade as I would send it in a white labs vial with ice pack as well.

As far as trading goes, I wouldnt mind getting soething interesting in return. The Schneider Weisse strain sounds great and I'll certainly do that trade. However, i dont have to trade for yeast with every trade bc I dont know what I'll do if I trade 10 vials of ECY01 then have a bank of all this random yeast that i might not use for a while.

I could trade a vial for a homebrew or two, whatever youre interested in sending. Or I'll just ship you a vial as long as you pay shipping and expect nothing in return.

I'll update this thread once I move some beer so I know how many vials I can get of each strain. I'll go in order of who posted itt up till this point, OP included. Sound fair?

Sounds great! I will probably be doing a fresh weizen soon so I can grow up a big starter and get you a healthy vial of the Schneider Weiss yeast.

Hey Coff, thanks for remembering me! I am super pumped to get my hands on some Bugfarm! I just pulled a nice vial of ECY Kolsch off a starter yesterday if you are interetsed, I will share that, or I have some Nice homebrews (RIS w choc, ancho chile, and oak- sasion (Dupont strain) or some really nice commercial brews; Bells Java or Expedition stout, 2 yr old Sofie, Bourbon county stout, etc. Let me know what you would like.

As for anyone else, I am looking to try as many ECY as I can, I have the Belgian White and the Kolsch and am willing to trade if you have some you want to swap, thanks all!

Hey Coff, thanks for remembering me! I am super pumped to get my hands on some Bugfarm! I just pulled a nice vial of ECY Kolsch off a starter yesterday if you are interetsed, I will share that, or I have some Nice homebrews (RIS w choc, ancho chile, and oak- sasion (Dupont strain) or some really nice commercial brews; Bells Java or Expedition stout, 2 yr old Sofie, Bourbon county stout, etc. Let me know what you would like.

As for anyone else, I am looking to try as many ECY as I can, I have the Belgian White and the Kolsch and am willing to trade if you have some you want to swap, thanks all!

They are not exclusive anymore, love2brew carries some strains, but they go quick there as well. Looks like right now they have ECY British Mild and Trappist Ale...

http://www.love2brew.com/East-Coast-Yeast-Liquid-Yeast-s/217.htm

That said, I get all mine from Joe at solarhomebrew and have the Saison Single strain, Burton Union, and Farmhouse Saison en route.

They have the ECY 11 Belgian White now.

Any idea what these correspond to? I understand the ECY 10 Newark ale is Ballentine Ale. But besides that...

Didnt get a chance to bottle over the weekend. Im hoping to do it tonight and tomorrow. 15 gallons of funky beer is alot of bottle.

Chadchaney, I have the ECY Kolschbier but would be interested in the White if youd like to trade that for the Bugfarm.

Coff,

Are you still interested in the Schneider yeast as a trade?
If so I will get the starter humming tomorrow. I want to brew a Weizen soon anyway.

Coff, sounds good, I actually have a nice starter of that working right now, definitely enough to pull you a nice big vial, let me know when you are ready.

All I can offer up is a sample of League City, TX wild yeast mixed with some Jolly Pumpkin dregs and some Bockor Oud Bruin dregs. It's not much, and can't say it's amazing, but I'm willing to trade some for some ECY if possible. :)

Ok so I bottled the batch I had on the Bugfarm cake last night ans washed about 9-11 vials. It was actually kind of a pain in the ass to pour into each vial so I cant promise its the cleanest wash but there are certainly some good bugs in there. They are all currently sitting in my keezer, Im curious to see how it settles.

Id like to keep 2-3 vials for myself so the rest is up for grabs. Is anyone concerned about the viability of the sacc strain after sitting on the cake for ~7 months? Or am I being paranoid? Regardless, there are tons of good bugs in these vials to inoculate you beer.

Anyway, here are the people who were interested in a vial of ECY01, and the trade offers so far.

ChadChaney (you offered some homebrew in the trade, that works for me)
barrooze (not so interested in the blend you spoke of, you could just paypal me the shipping cost and I'll get it out to you)
phished880 (Allagash Strain, that sounds awesome)
Feurhund (Schneider-weisse Strain, sounds like a deal)
skeezerpleezer (Im not sure what we had decided on)
RJSkypala (bretted saison blend, sounds like a deal)

Ive not bottled the beer on the ECY03, so if youre interested in both maybe we want to wait to ship.

It might be easier if you guys emailed me since my PM box will fil up super fast. My email is coffey.ed at gmail, just let me know what your HBT handle is in the email so I can keep track.

I thought I read that reusing yeast blends such as ECY01 would lead to a increasingly lacto dominate fermentation? I'm talking out of my ass here, but I assume someone here would know better and I'm interested in what it means to reuse saccro/brett/lacto/pedio yeast blends. Maybe something to ask Al Buck?

Coff,

I will email you and we can set something up!

As for the last post about lacto dominate fermentation, here is the response I got from Al @ ECY today via email..

As for re-using blended sour mixes, there is no one answer. This is mostly due to the aging process and when a sample of sediment is pulled. I would recommend pulling out some sediment early on , say , a couple of weeks into the initial pitch so that most organisms are captured and in relative populations. This will change over generations. Most importantly, As long as you have Brett, any diacetyl produced from lacto and pedio will be absorbed, for example. Hope that helps.

SO, not definitive answer..

ChadChaney said:

How was the Kölsch yeast for you? I wasnt a fan of the results. I did like the Newark lager strain which I used on a Kentucky Common that's awesome.

Still fermenting, used it for a Cream Ale that I am going to rack into 4 separate 1 gallon batches each w a different fruit. I plan on leaving 1 gallon as a test bach, no fruit, so we will see, also the first batch using 6 row, should be interesting! I'll post back w results.

How was the Kölsch yeast for you? I wasnt a fan of the results. I did like the Newark lager strain which I used on a Kentucky Common that's awesome.

What didnt you like about it. I make a blonde ale about once a month that I like to keep on tap which I always use WLP029 on and the most recent one I used ECY21. At kegging I thought it was quite good, super dry though, even more dry then normal.

I have a Citra Smash on ECY12, honestly though I kind of goofed bc I could have sworn I had ECY10 and didnt realize this was a psuedo lager strain. I kept the first 5 days of fermentation cold, about 62f then warmed it up for the final 10 days to 70f. Is that a little too warm for that strain?

Coff,

I will email you and we can set something up!

As for the last post about lacto dominate fermentation, here is the response I got from Al @ ECY today via email..

As for re-using blended sour mixes, there is no one answer. This is mostly due to the aging process and when a sample of sediment is pulled. I would recommend pulling out some sediment early on , say , a couple of weeks into the initial pitch so that most organisms are captured and in relative populations. This will change over generations. Most importantly, As long as you have Brett, any diacetyl produced from lacto and pedio will be absorbed, for example. Hope that helps.

SO, not definitive answer..

Right, I was kind of concerned about all of this as well but I dont think I will be using my washed vials as a primary strain going forward for various reasons. Im concerned about the number of viable Sacch cells left in there like some of you are so Im thinking I will just use it as a post primary souring strain. Primary with a Saison strain or maybe Abbey Ale yeast like Vinnie does, then pitch the Bugfarm in secondary. Or Abbey Ale for primary, pitch a brett strain then the Bugfarm a few weeks later so the Brett can work then the pedio lacto in the blend can do their work.

With the kölsch I either infected the beer or I have an off batch of the yeast. It was visually very hazy even after a long cold crash. The smell was very neutral with a slight amount of funk. Taste was great up front, lemon grass but then this off flavor of sour nails you. I had to ditch the batch. I gave it 3 weeks primary, then a month untapped on my keg to clear up. Nothing. I'm going to change my recipe and redo it with that yeast.

I also pulled the move where I thought I had the ale strain but turned out to be the lager. I cleared my keggerator and put the carboy in asap. Kept it at low 50s for a week, then pulled it out and let it warm up for a week to 65. That was a very interesting fermentation to watch.

As fit letting it warm up to 70 you should be fine with that cold start. Just maybe try to lager it for 2-3 weeks. I got awesome clarity from it and a nice crisp taste.

How many of you guys are in the NJ area? I'd love to get together and taste some of the beers using the yeast.

Back