Hidden Kegerator, Cubby Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
***** UPDATE *****
OK I know it has been about a year or more but we finally finished this project today. We got the shelves in place and converted the kegerator to sanke so we can bring kegs home from the brewery. Finally we have beer on tap again at the house.

430154_10100369195825459_5813279_45316904_749259608_n.jpg

*******************************************************************************************************

I have decided that it is time to start kegging my beer. Now that my new rig is finished and I am making 10 gallon batches. I do not want to bottle that much beer. So a couple weeks ago my roomate (who owns the house) ask me if it would be possible to put taps on the wall and keg my homebrew. I gave him an evil laugh and said sure I can.

So we decided to convert a small space next to stairs into a bar and tap center. I looked at the space and knew if I could get behind the wall there might be enough space to get a kegerator. Sure enough the space is huge. I am going to put a collar on a free mini fridge my buddy has for me. That should free up enough room for two kegs to fit, and two styles on tap at all times.

Anyway. Here are some pics. I will update as I make progress.

The desk is going upstairs. There will be a mini fridge here for bottles and wine. A bar top across the space above the fridge. Some shelves for pint glasses and other bar stuff and of course the taps and drip tray.
IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_06471.JPG

The guys that built the house were nice enough to leave us some trash.
IMG_06501.JPG

The center stud taken out. This wall is non load bearing. It was a false wall to hold drywall. I can stand up completely in the space. It is about 61/2 feet in there
IMG_06601.JPG

Collar for the fridge. Two corny kegs fit snugly now.
IMG_07721.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

Fridge with lines coming through the collar. Soon to be nicely mounted along the wall.
IMG_07761.JPG

Taps mounted to a nice piece of wood. Soon to be affixed to the wall.
IMG_0775.JPG

In the last picture, on the left side of the stairs are you able to put a vent in for good airflow to the kegerator? Or does it have good flow now? Looks bright in the one picture coming under the stairs, but may be the camera. I am assuming that you would have it flush with where you removed the stud in the dwarf wall.

The picture is not the greatest. There is a ton of space back there. I am going to tuck it into the back right corner that you see from the little person door. It will not be flush but close. There will be about 16 inches next to it, so I can walk back there and store bottles and fermenters.

As for ventelation. I am working on that. There is a crawl space below the floor I could vent to. Also the space shares a wall with a powder room. There is a 6 inch wall in there that has a stud space wrapped with tin for cold air return to the furnace. I may consult someone on tapping into that.

I have access to power back there. I will be putting in a receptacle and a light. Right now it is bright because I have a shop light in there.

I'm not an HVAC expert, but did learn some about it in school. I wouldn't tap into the cold air return for what you are working on.

As long as you have a space on a wall you can add a register vent to, to allow the fridge/ freezer airflow, that will suffice. I'd be worried about imbalance in your HVAC system from a tie in, when it isn't absolutely required.

I believe I will vent it directly through the floor into the crawl space. I can put a small pancake fan and a piece of large tubing. There is space right behind where the fridge will be.

Well the progress is slow on this build. I am at the mercy of my buddy the carpenter. I am hoping to motivate him this week/weekend to start working on the bartop and shelves. All the mechanics are done. I will have the taps mounted to the wall......Maybe tonight. So at least we can drink beer. Here is a pic of the piece we cut last night to mount the taps.

IMG_0775.JPG

There are a few more pics at the top of the page.

very cool! huge amount of space back there for you to work with too. i love the idea of walking up and pouring a tap from the wall having no idea where it's coming from :mug:

Yeah sorry about that. I will take some pics tonight. There is a small amount of change. I have the fridge in. The lines in and the taps mounted and flowing. We plan to build the counter top this weekend. Hopefully get the sink in. Then start on the shelves.

I have been really busy with other stuff. Trying to open a nano taproom and hey...It's summer time here in the mountains finally. There have been a bunch of events to attend. I am on track and slowing down. I hope to get a bunch of brewing projects finished. Including a new brewing system. 55 gallon drums for vessels.

It is not too bad. It is about 12ft of tubing and there is about 7 feet exposed. The rest is coiled inside the fridge. Actually the first pour is semi-cold. I have an empty tube wrapped up inside the loops and goes back to the fridge. I bought a recirculation pump so I could send antifreeze through the lines. I just have not gotten around to setting that up yet. I may not. It seems to be ok.

Update:

First picture is the bar top secured and holes cut for the electrical. Second photo shows the sink cut in and the electrical roughed. Next will be granite tile and back splash to match the kitchen. Then we will get to the shelves.

IMG_08792.JPG

IMG_08811.JPG

That's what happens when you are building a brewery... other projects take more time (or backburner). Great work. Love how it turned out.

Back