Secondary fermentation airlock blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingo

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this? The secondary fermenter airlock had blown off and had been off for at least 24 hours when I discovered it. Do you think my beer is okay? Has anyone had an experience like this>

Thanks.

Obviously, you transferred to secondary WAY too early if you're getting blowoff and clogging your airlock. Next time, wait until the ferment is finished to transfer if you're going to secondary.

As for this one... if you're putting out enough CO2 to blow your airlock off, your beer is most likely safe from oxidation. There's a SLIGHT chance something might have drifted in there on a dust mote to infect it or something, but I wouldn't sweat it.

There is a layer of co2 protecting you beer, so more than likely everything is fine. That same co2 that evidently knocked off the airlock, is also keeping most airborn matter from getting in.

Since your beer is in secondary it should be all alcohol at this point, so nothig really should harm it anyway.

I give your beer a 99.5% survival rate.:D

Take a look at the stories in this thread and you will see how hardy your beer actually is.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Back