My first all-grain didn't turn out as expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
I just poured myself a glass of my first all-grain. It didn't turn out as I expected...which isn't always a bad thing. I was trying to make a clone of a Smithwick's. Instead, it turned out to be closer to a Yuengling. :ban:

I live in Ohio. They won't distribute Yuengling here (the bastards). Now...if only I can figure out where I put that darn recipe...

Congrats on your first AG dude!

I don't know how Yuengling is looked upon in OH, but around here (in my mouth) its not a beer whose right to extensive distribution is defended.

Maybe absence is making the heart grow fonder out in your neck of the woods.

I agree...it's not the best of beers, but it's a favorite among my friends. It's kind of one of those things that, since I can't have it, I want it really bad.

I think I got it from here (the second recipe down the page):
TastyBrew.com | Forum | Smithwicks Recipe

I also think I know what happened...I found out my thermometer was pretty far off afterwards. I didn't have any iodine, so I couldn't check my efficiency...I'm thinking it was probably off.

These are things you learn are important after your first all-grain

Now...if only I can figure out where I put that darn recipe...

You should pick up a copy of BeerSmith or similar, put every beer you brew in there, when, etc, and you'll be able to keep it forever (as long as you backup!). I always print out my recipes and write notes if I change anything. Then I update it in the software so it's accurate for next time.

Back