Is this hop resin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jts15

Reaction score
My wife thinks I'm trying to poison her:cross:

There was a film on top of my beer in primary as shown in the pic. I tried to rack under it but it seemed to disappear as I auto siphoned. The same thing has shown up in the secondary carboy. I have tried to tell her that it is CO2 bubbles and hop resin but she isn't buying it. She wants some expert opinions.
Looks like a dry (almost powdery), thin skin on top. I put my hop plugs directly into the boil and the wort goes directly into the primary...no straining or racking. I just dump it in. I try to leave as much trub as I can when I go to secondary and bottling bucket.

I'll drink it regardless but can we put her mind at ease?

DSC01920.jpg

Thanks in advance!:mug:

Personally, I would say it is an infection. I have never seen CO2 bubbles form that large. However, I have also never had an infection so I can't say what exactly they look like. How does it taste/smell?

Looks like fungus & CO2 bubbles. Of course, brewing yeast is a form of fungus that creates CO2. I'd say you're fine.

Regardless if it's an infection or not, you cannot get sick from an infected batch of homebrew. As long as it tastes okay, tell wifey you'll both live long healthly lives even if you drink this beer (assuming of course you have no other issues of course):mug:

I had a bit of what looked like a hazy white stuff with bubbles form just last week, It looked exatly like that. What I did was got my shop vac, a bit of SANATIZED hose and used the hose to suck the white bubbles out. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM. Just hold the hose and cup it at the vacuume hose to get the suction.

Well... it really isn't hop resin, but it also isn't fatal... probably an unexpected bug or just co2 forcing protein and particles to the surface. Follow your nose. If it smells good - drink it. Unless its snarling at you and speaking Aramaic, it won't make you sick. That's part of the magic of alcohol (and hops).

I've had a powdery skin (reminded me of icebergs on the ocean) on brews before, but never had it negatively affect the outcome. I have no clue what it was. Brews can look really really weird. As long as you don't see hairy mold no worries (and even those are most likely fairly harmless). Have you ever seen what some cheese goes through before we see it in the market? :D

Hop oils look like an oil rainbow slick on top of the wort. From what you describe and the picture it looks like a lacto infection to me. I would be sure to do a bleach holocaust on that bucket and that racking cane as well.

Back