flaked corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flaked is always gelatinized (water-soluble), but not malted. You need something else in the mash to convert it, like 2-row.

ahhh cool was wondering what type of mash to do with it (single or double), rest of mash is 2 row and 6 row

Isn't there like a percentage though of flaked corn, rice etc that you can add to the about of grain used? i.e. you need enough malted grain (with enzymes) to be able to handle the addition of the corn/rice etc (without emzymes). Seems like I read that somewhere recently.

Yeah definitely. If corn is the only unmalted grain you are using, then it should probably be 40% of the mash at an absolute maximum...but that's a lot of corn and your mash would get stuck anyway ;)

If 50% of your mash is a good converter like 2-row then you'll be fine. The enzymes in the 2-row will convert the starches in the unmalted grain. Adjuncts like crystal malt don't need any conversion.

If you use raw grain, then you have to mash the raw grain with some 2-row and then boil it to gelatinize it. Flaked grains have been pre-gelatinized, which makes them really convenient.

I'm a big fan of flaked barley in Pale Ales and Bitters. Cheers :D

I use flaked maize in my fizzy yellow beers. I just did a Standard American Lager yesterday. I used 2 lbs. along with 11.5 pounds of German Pilsner. The corn was 15% or so of the grist bill.

You can also use minute rice (or a store brand) of precooked rice. It's just like the flaked maize.....just dump in your mash with everything else.

Back