Cold crash, suck back, oxidation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi. I need to cold crash in a better bottle. Does anyone get oxidation problems from this from the suck back? Thanks

You don't need an airlock if you're cold crashing. Fermentation is done at that point. Just seal your fermenter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "suck back," but if you're simply putting your better bottle into a low temperature space, then oxidation wouldn't be a worry. If you're transferring into a secondary better bottle, then it is a very minor concern that I wouldn't worry about. Try to keep your racking hose below the liquid level to minimize any splashing.

You don't need an airlock if you're cold crashing. Fermentation is done at that point. Just seal your fermenter.

So seal it up with a bung and crash, will I suck in o2 when I open it to transfer? These are really big ipas so I want to crash to drop out the massive amts of dry hops before moving to my kegs. Thanks

So seal it up with a bung and crash, will I suck in o2 when I open it to transfer? These are really big ipas so I want to crash to drop out the massive amts of dry hops before moving to my kegs. Thanks

You could put a bung in it, but it might be difficult to remove. I usually just use foil and a rubber band. No worries about oxidation from opening it.

You could put a bung in it, but it might be difficult to remove. I usually just use foil and a rubber band. No worries about oxidation from opening it.

Feel safe listening to you. Thanks foil and a rubber band it is

Back