beer hose length and CO2 pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I am trying to figure a way for my beer to stay carbonated properly while in my Keg... I currently force carb at 12 psi at 35 degrees and then I have to switch to 8 or 9 psi in order to get a proper pour from my tap.

I am fairly certain this lower serving pressure will result in lower carb levels in the beer.

If I make my beer lines longer, would that allow me to crank up the psi and still get a good pour that isn't all foam?

Thanks for your help!

Yes. Basically, if you balance your lines for your carb pressure, that becomes your serving pressure.

Is there a formula or rule of thumb of how much beer lune to use in order to serve at X pressure

I think the consensus is to use [at least] 10 feet of 3/16" ID beer line per faucet for typical (~2.5 volume) brews served below 40°F.

Higher carbed beers (like hefenweizens) will require higher pressure, and thus longer lines. And if you serve at higher temperatures than most (say above 40°F) that will require higher pressure to maintain carbonation levels, and hence longer lines as well...

Cheers!

There's an online tool that where you can plug in your values and it tells you the resulting PSI. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

I wouldn't bother. None of the calculators I've seen will result in satisfactory performance in a home-kegging scenario...

Cheers!

Ya, I was going to say, try experimenting a bit. It'll be pretty specific to your hose diameter and wall diameter.

Thanks everyone... The 10ft recommendation is a good starting point... I only have 4' right now hooked up... No wonder I have to dial it down to 8 psi to serve

I guess it's a trial and error deal

Back