Alpine IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or Hoppy Birthday (I wish)

I did find this Nelson recipe online. He says here (in the comments) that he received the recipe from Pat, the owner/brewer. If so, I don't know what he did to squeeze that info out of Pat. They've never been open to discussing their recipes with me before. I've attempted to no avail to get a recipe for Hoppy Birthday and Duet via email a couple of times. I've also tried at the brewery.

If anyone else has info on any of Alpine's IPA recipes, post it here.

Only info I've gotten out of them are the hops used in Hoppy Birthday - prob the best pale ale I've ever had...

Via Pat: Pacific Jade, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Simcoe.

Only info I've gotten out of them are the hops used in Hoppy Birthday - prob the best pale ale I've ever had...

Via Pat: Pacific Jade, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Simcoe.

Oddly, that hop mash-up makes sense, although it could be wildly different in profile depending on the ratios of each of those hops. West Coast meets NZ.

I agree that this is the best pale ale I've ever had. Look up the word "quaffer" in the dictionary and there's a picture of this beer. If I could nail down the malt bill on this, I'll play around with those hops to see if I can come up with something similar. As crazy as this sounds given how much of a hop forward beer this is, I think the malt bill is essential to this beer. It has body and light crackery notes, but remains dry and in the background. It's very "Alpine" in a way. At 5.5% ABV, I could pound this beer all day long.

The next time one of us has a chance to talk to or email Pat, we should ask purely about the malt bill percentages, and then maybe mash temps/times. That way we're not asking about the entire recipe. He might be more open to discussing one aspect of the recipe at a time.

Hey,

I brewed a Duet clone back in January. Here's the link to my recipe (backbone of which is from Pat at Alpine), and there's a link there for the tasting as well...

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/2012/01/alpine-duet-clone.html

It came out very tasty, but unfortunately I don't have a prayer of testing it against the real thing. I loved Duet when I tried it in SD last September, but haven't had it since. I have a few bottles of the clone left, and it's amazingly held up quite well, even now. It won a bronze medal and went on to the final round of the NHC this year as well.

Hey,

I brewed a Duet clone back in January. Here's the link to my recipe (backbone of which is from Pat at Alpine), and there's a link there for the tasting as well...

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/2012/01/alpine-duet-clone.html

It came out very tasty, but unfortunately I don't have a prayer of testing it against the real thing. I loved Duet when I tried it in SD last September, but haven't had it since. I have a few bottles of the clone left, and it's amazingly held up quite well, even now. It won a bronze medal and went on to the final round of the NHC this year as well.

Thank you for sharing. I'll look over your recipe. Duet is a great beer from Alpine. Congrats on making a hoppy beer that holds up in the bottle. It's almost always bangin' on draft at Alpine, but when bottles of Duet and Nelson circulate to my local bottle shop, they're really hit and miss. And when they're more than a couple of weeks old, the aroma (the big wow factor of Alpine beers) isn't there.

The most amazing part of all of this is that you got Pat to share something. He's pretty tight-lipped in my experience (especially for a brewery that just won "The Spirit of Homebrew" award from Zymurgy) and generally gives you some lecture about how homebrewing is all about the discovery of finding things out for yourself.

Hi. Pat was actually very forthcoming when I emailed him about my Nelson clone recipe. For me, sending him something that I was working on and asking him how to get a particular element of the recipe correct led to him giving up a little more information.

My advice is to send Pat a recipe you have already worked out and see what he sends you back. Keep in mind that Alpine is brewing pretty much at capacity all of the time so Pat is a busy guy.

Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I dropped off a bottle of my beer for him at the brewery. That earned me a review of how close I had gotten :) I still have the email of Pat saying I had made a good Nelson clone!

Hi. Pat was actually very forthcoming when I emailed him about my Nelson clone recipe. For me, sending him something that I was working on and asking him how to get a particular element of the recipe correct led to him giving up a little more information.

My advice is to send Pat a recipe you have already worked out and see what he sends you back. Keep in mind that Alpine is brewing pretty much at capacity all of the time so Pat is a busy guy.

Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I dropped off a bottle of my beer for him at the brewery. That earned me a review of how close I had gotten :) I still have the email of Pat saying I had made a good Nelson clone!

Do you mind posting your recipe? Thanks.

Scott

Dragonlor20, have you posted your recipe anyplace?

Back