Allergic people in your house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springmom

Reaction score
I've started fermenting wine and mead and am having a great time at it. But...I'm allergic (food and airborne) to yeast, mold and fungus. So far I don't think I'm having any issues but on the other hand, I have a nasty cold so who'd know?Anyone have yeast-allergic family members? Any feedback?

I've known some people will alcohol allergies. The would turn red when they drank, but I've never known anyone with a yeast allergy.

TxBrew, the allergy is to yeast, mold, and fungus. I never had symptoms until Hurricane Ike filled our house with mold. *Killed* our old Irish terrier. Usually it's a matter of being allergic to mold first and the allergy can generalize to other similar stuff (like yeast). I can manage the yeast allergy by partaking of it very rarely (the occasional...like once a month...gyro, for instance) but the rest of the time have to have none at all. And you'd be amazed just how many foods that have nothing to do with bread and bagels nevertheless have yeast or extracts of yeast.

So I was curious if anyone has family members who live with frequent infusions of yeast in the environment. So far I'm doing fine. I racked my first gallon today and I think it was having my nose over a gallon of hootch that gave me a temporary sore throat. But no breathing problems so I'm good.

Still, my inhaler and my epi-pen are nearby all the time. :-(

Back