KW, FL water profile advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So im just getting into the water chemistry aspect of my brewing. Im a good learner and making progress but its definitely a lot to wrap your head around. I was hoping to get some feedback on my water profile and suggestions of what I should be doing for my lighter beers; APAs, IPAs, Blondes, and Berliners......and my darker beers; browns and stouts. This will be good info to share with everyone in my LHBC. Thanks guys and gals.

Ca 73
Mg 0-4 said they havent tested it in a while but said it would be in these levels if present at all

Na 16.7
SO4 52.1
Cl 3.9
HCO3 34

Have you checked out the primer? I'd say you got some pretty soft water to start with. You could probably brew just about anything you wanted and add a tsp of CaCl for maltier beers and try some Gypsum for the hoppier ones. Do you have a PH tester? That would be a wise investment so you can test the PH of your mash at about 15mins into it (room temperature) to see if you're close to 5.2-5.4. But I'm still learning too so I'm sure you'll get some better info in just a bit.

Have you checked out the primer? I'd say you got some pretty soft water to start with. You could probably brew just about anything you wanted and add a tsp of CaCl for maltier beers and try some Gypsum for the hoppier ones. Do you have a PH tester? That would be a wise investment so you can test the PH of your mash at about 15mins into it (room temperature) to see if you're close to 5.2-5.4. But I'm still learning too so I'm sure you'll get some better info in just a bit.

I have and saw for the most part I have soft water. I was a bit unsure if I would want to add CaCl since my Ca is at 73 and she mentioned adding it if it was under 20. Though, my Cl level is only 3.9, well under the the 20 she mentions. When you say room temp do you mean cool the wort sample down to room temp to test the ph? Im looking into ph testers now if you have any recommendations.

You have some mixed units in the water report you present. The calcium value you show (73) is actually a hardness value expressed as CaCO3. So the actual Ca concentration is more like 29 ppm. Yes, that is soft. The reason is that the FKAA plant in Homestead is a Lime-softening plant. I was one of the design engineers for that facility in the early 90's.

The rest of the profile looks appropriate and the ions balance reasonably well after you correct the calcium value.

Yes, adding additional calcium to the brewing water is desirable in most cases. You can probably tell that the Aqueduct Authority neutralizes the lime-softened water with a sulfuric acid addition, since the sulfate concentration is somewhat high. You would want to avoid adding any more sulfate unless you are brewing a hoppy style. Check out Bru'n Water for more guidance.

You have some mixed units in the water report you present. The calcium value you show (73) is actually a hardness value expressed as CaCO3. So the actual Ca concentration is more like 29 ppm. Yes, that is soft. The reason is that the FKAA plant in Homestead is a Lime-softening plant. I was one of the design engineers for that facility in the early 90's.

The rest of the profile looks appropriate and the ions balance reasonably well after you correct the calcium value.

Yes, adding additional calcium to the brewing water is desirable in most cases. You can probably tell that the Aqueduct Authority neutralizes the lime-softened water with a sulfuric acid addition, since the sulfate concentration is somewhat high. You would want to avoid adding any more sulfate unless you are brewing a hoppy style. Check out Bru'n Water for more guidance.

Thanks for the guidance and pretty cool you helped design the FKAA plant. Edit: its not letting me run the Bru n Water program cause I need more software. I'll try to work it out in my beersmith.

I have and saw for the most part I have soft water. I was a bit unsure if I would want to add CaCl since my Ca is at 73 and she mentioned adding it if it was under 20. Though, my Cl level is only 3.9, well under the the 20 she mentions. When you say room temp do you mean cool the wort sample down to room temp to test the ph? Im looking into ph testers now if you have any recommendations.

Yup, cool the wort sample down to room temp, I like to use a shot glass to take my sample, it cools quickly, or else it'll read high.

Back