Smack pack gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_one_seven

Reaction score
Wyeast American Ale 1056. MFG 3/7/12. The pack is swollen and it has not been smacked yet? It wasn't when it was purchased. I'm assuming some sort of contamination but looking for thoughts on this. Wanting to brew tomorrow but no local sources of liquid yeast. I do have access to dry yeast. Any good substitute for 1056? I always use liquid yeast so my dry knowledge is limited.

Thanks,

Brian

Can't comment on the viability of the yeast but safale us-05 would be a good substitute.

Thanks, I guess the wort is in the smack pack so not sure what its fermenting.....weird never seen one swell up prematurely...

How long ago did it puff up? If it was today or yesterday I would probably still use it but I'm kinda cheap. If you are worried go with a neutral dry yeast that you can get your hands on, notty or S-05 might be good.

Doing a Cream ale just so everyone knows what I'm going for here. I noticed it was puffed a little bit about 1 month ago but not much, just thought it was how the pack was. It's about have way to fully swollen now.

This is from the Wyeast FAQ page and seems to be aimed more at retailers but...

"25. What are the causes of swollen packages? Can you sell them?

Swollen packages are almost always the cause of a small amount of sugar or CO2 being left in solution at the time of packaging. Upon shipment, CO2 can be released from solution or the yeast can consume the sugar and create a small amount of CO2. Cell autolysis, or cell death can also be a cause of swelling packaged. However, this is only in rare cases where the yeast is exposed to high temperature for an extended amount of time. If a package is swollen and has not been mishandled, it can be sold with confidence."

:mug:

I would also say its not too late to make a started if you're brewing tomorrow.

"6. Do I need to make a starter for an Activator?

No. The Activator is designed to deliver professional pitch rates (6 million cells/ ml.) when directly added to 5 gallons of wort. ( <1.060 at 70 degrees). However, if a package is slow to swell, suspected of being mishandled, or if the date is approaching the six month shelf life it is a good idea to build the culture up with a starter. High gravity or low temperature fermentations require higher pitch rates. This can be achieved with inoculating with additional packages or making a starter. "

The yeast is still fine but being partially swollen and over a month old I would highly recommend a starter as cell degradation has already begun and just pitching the pack would be severely under pitching your beer even at 1.050

Per Mr Malty.com, you should do a starter for liquid yeast if your OG is over 1.030/ 5 gallons- but many do not.

If you don't want to make starters.. Safale US-05 is the same (approx) "Chico" ale yeast as WY1056 and WL001. No starter needed, many more yeast cells esp if you rehydrate, and about 1/2 the price. Bonus!

Back