What kind of infection is this, and what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruithear

Reaction score
Preface: This is my second batch ever, and the first batch went perfectly. This time, I switched to StarSan rather than bleach, and I either overdiluted or did something else wrong in the process. Either way, the beer is infected:

tHogN.jpg

Any clue what the infection might be? In addition, can I do anything to salvage the brewing equipment or the beer itself? I'm really beat up over this, considering how careful I was with sanitizing, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

The beer itself was a kit extract Hefeweizen, though that probably doesn't matter at this point.

Second what Max said...

What does it taste and smell like? If it's drinkable without gagging, and it doesn't smell like a three week dead skunk that's been stored in a hot and humid trashcan, it may be okay.

Second what Max said...

What does it taste and smell like? If it's drinkable without gagging, and it doesn't smell like a three week dead skunk that's been stored in a hot and humid trashcan, it may be okay.

That's quality control!

See what it looks like in another week or two or better yet take gravity readings.It just looks like off-gassing and yeast rafts so far. That looks dark for a hefeweisen.

I've got a doppel weizen that looks like that right now. You're fine. My fermenter temp went up a little past what I would like in the last couple of days and cause more CO2 to gas out causing the bubbles in mine. Mine tastes great. It does have the alcohol burn of a 8.5% hefeweizen but that'll cool down a bit with a tiny bit of aging.

Is that an extract brew? My previous citrus wheat and the doppel weizen are darker than I'd like for the style, but I have to chalk that up to the fact that I'm still extract brewing. But, who cares how dark they are if they're tasty. Which mine certainly are.

Just for the record, I panicked last night when I saw that and went and searched the site for pics of infections until I was satisfied that I was fine.

Did you open it alot?

First time was today, after 2 weeks fermenting. Vodka in the airlock. I am going to give it another week, and then maybe bottle some and use the rest for cooking. If it is an infection (and I'm pretty convinced that it is), do I need to toss the bucket or will a long soak in StarSan kill all the nasties?

It's probably ok. I've had similar looking krousen in my early days of brewing when I've used too much Irish moss. If it tastes sour then just go with it because it will probably make an awesome lambic. Fun fact: there is nothing that can survive in the anaerobic beer environment that can kill you... So at least there is that. Bottle it and se what kind on shenanigans you've created!!

Back