10 gallon batch. 5 fermented out, 5 stuck. What gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
-I did a 10 gallon stout using Belgian yeast (WLP500 and 550).
-Split with a friend in two carboys
-Did one huge starter and split it between the two carboys. (decanted and swirled the yeast up real good and split it equal amounts in each carboy)
-Used pure oxygen with a stone for 60 seconds on each
-One carboy fermented down to 1.015
-One carboy is stuck at 1.040

To the stuck carboy I've tried...
-New yeast (new vile of WLP500)
-Yeast Nutrient added
-Gently roused the yeast a couple times
-warmed it up

Same beer, same yeast - the only difference I can see is he fermented probably 5 degrees cooler than mine. So I guess I'm looking for advise on how to get mine down lower, and also any idea why this would have happened?

Can you just put it in a rope tub with cold water and swap in frozen bottles? Not sure that's it though. I doubt cooler would = more attenuation.

WLP500 optimum temp is 65-72. WLP550 optimum temp is 68-78. I'm at about 68 degrees. He was prob closer to 62 (in his basement). I don't think cooler temps will help.

WLP500 optimum temp is 65-72. WLP550 optimum temp is 68-78. I'm at about 68 degrees. He was prob closer to 62 (in his basement). I don't think cooler temps will help.

Me neither. Is it possible you didn't really split the yeast as evenly as you thought? That's really strange.

I have never tried this but it is supposed to work. Get some 3711, that stuff will ferment anything. Make a starter and pitch it at high krausen.

from the Wyeast website

YEAST STRAIN: 3711**|**French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

Well, when all else fails...I'll see if I can get that. I wonder if the White Labs has an equivalent to that. White Labs is all my LHBS carries.

I have never tried this but it is supposed to work. Get some 3711, that stuff will ferment anything. Make a starter and pitch it at high krausen.

from the Wyeast website

I have. It took a 1.040 stall down to 1.002. It's a monster.

Never mind, checked it with a hydrometer and it's at 1.020. I was using my refractometer and wasn't aware that the alcohol in the beer messes with the reading.

Nothing to see here...carry on.

Back