One step closer to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
I just picked up 2 cornies for $15 each. Just in time too, I have 5 gallons of apfelwein and 5 gallons of APA that I was going to have to bottle soon. Now I guess I have to finish my bar and kegerator this weekend... Wait for additional posts most likely involving me, unnecessary powertools, my blood, and lots of swearing...

Willie approves of my new acquisition...

corny5.jpg

corny3.jpg

excellent. congrats on the progress of your kegging experience!

Awesome -- you are going to LOVE kegging. No more bottle scrubbing, no more secondaries (and the carboy washing that goes with it), and beer on tap!

But now you are going to want a lot more cornies..... :)

I have kegged 3 batches but only drank 1. The other 2 are still conditioning and will be ready soon. Kegging is awesome. I still use a secondary to make the beer as clear as possible. Instead of taking 2 hours to bottle it takes 15 min to keg I will post some picts of my old rusted fridge that I sanded and repainted. Enjoy the kegs! Also no more bottles for SWMBO to count to see how many you have had!

good deal. My LHBS has a second hand one for $100. Was going to buy that just to get me started whilst I looked around for cheaper ones. I am over bottling too!

dibby33 said:
good deal. My LHBS has a second hand one for $100. Was going to buy that just to get me started whilst I looked around for cheaper ones. I am over bottling too!

$100?? Ouch...

I thought I was done bottling but I only have 2 kegs but I have 6 batches going right now and my neighbor just gave me 8 cases of Pabst bottles...

for 90 you can get a new keg at some online stores, i believe. do NOT pay 100 for a used one. that is rediculous.

i am only willing to pay around 20 per keg, and i rebuild them myself, and i also polish the exterior to make them look better.

cnbudz said:
$100?? Ouch...

I thought I was done bottling but I only have 2 kegs but I have 6 batches going right now and my neighbor just gave me 8 cases of Pabst bottles...

This is Australia, things are more expensive over here. I shall be resorting to theft soon.

dibby33 said:
This is Australia, things are more expensive over here. I shall be resorting to theft soon.

What would it cost to ship like 4 of them from the States? Maybe we could take up a "help Dibby Keg" fund.

Just sayin'...

Flyin' Lion said:
What would it cost to ship like 4 of them from the States? Maybe we could take up a "help Dibby Keg" fund.

Just sayin'...

Shipping costs in US$ of four 5-gallon kegs from Minnesota (just as a reference) to Hobart, Tasmania:

FedEx International Economy: ~$510 (cheapest FedEx)
UPS Worldwide Expedited: ~$485 (cheapest UPS)
USPS Priority Mail International: ~$190
FedEx Freight: ~$1145! - Must need a first class seat on the plane :drunk:

So for about $100US for the kegs plus nearly another $200US in shipping costs you can have four on your sitting on your doorstep. Roughly $75.00 for a keg, a little better but may or may not be worth it. I couldn't find the maximum package sizes for USPS international shipments so it may exceed their limits but I doubt it.

On a side note - I am actually going to be visiting Hobart in a week for a couple days, whats the weather been like in your part of the country?

check midwest supply. I bought my reconditioned corney there. Leak tested, new o-rings, ect... shipping wasnt bad either.

Topanga said:
For gnef--How do you polish the exterior of your corny?
I'm at the same stage as cnbudz and I have some cornies I need to polish. I'd read that Barkeeper's Friend works great, so I got some. It's on my "to-do" list.

yup. bar keeper's friend, and a lot of elbow grease. heh.

i do a couple at a time. i've almost finished doing all my kegs. it's taken me a while, as i have 35. haha.

BierMuncher said:
I have great luck with these kegs...$16 apiece plus shipping. I'm up to 14 now and narry aproblem with any of them..

Clickety Click Thingy

I'm trying to buy a couple right now, and their server is spitting up an error when I go to checkout.

Guess I'll try again later, it is a nice price.

EDIT: A day later, their site is back up. Kegs successfully ordered!

dibby33 said:

Yeah, but Australia and New Zealand produce some pretty amazing honey. Ever delve into mead-making? its quite easy, just takes a little longer to age.

Back