First attempt at wine, SG is a lot higher than recipe said.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
I made my first batch the other day and the recipe called for the SG to be 1.090 or higher. Well mine was, 1.123. Which Im not worried about that being high. Im just trying to figure out what I should look for for the FG. It calls for 1.040 or less. What should I look for if mine was 1.123 instead of 1.090?

The recipe is one for peach wine and I altered it a little bit, my buddy followed the recipe and got 1.090. I changed it by putting bananas in it, 7 lbs to be specific. So Im not surprised it came out higher.

I made my first batch the other day and the recipe called for the SG to be 1.090 or higher. Well mine was, 1.123. Which Im not worried about that being high. Im just trying to figure out what I should look for for the FG. It calls for 1.040 or less. What should I look for if mine was 1.123 instead of 1.090?

The recipe is one for peach wine and I altered it a little bit, my buddy followed the recipe and got 1.090. I changed it by putting bananas in it, 7 lbs to be specific. So Im not surprised it came out higher.

i would guess that you will hit around 1.010-1.020 somewhere in that ball park or less with the yeast you picked.

EC1118 can push 18% if it's happy, and it LOVES bananas. I wouldn't be shocked at all if you got .990 when it's done. It'll be "hot" like rocket fuel for a couple of years, though!

Back