Aeration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
For the purposes of Aerating my wort before I pitch my yeast, I usually A. pour the cool water from several feet up so as to splash the wort around in my bucket as much as possible and B. put the cap on and shake the sh*t out of it. I've read from several sources that using an aeration device is rediculously more efficient. What the sbest way to go about getting such a device? I've heard pet supply stores have great pumps for this. Recommendations? Thanks!
-Ben

If the water you top off with is unboiled tap water, then you're introducing a lot of O2 that way, such that vigorous shaking is probably all you need.

The aquarium pump system = pump + tubing + sanitary filter + tubing + 2 micron SS difussion stone. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get a vigorous aeration.

Or you can go O2 tank + regulator + tubing + .05 micron SS difussion stone for more like 5 seconds.

EDIT: that should be .5 micron, not .05

cweston said:
If the water you top off with is unboiled tap water, then you're introducing a lot of O2 that way, such that vigorous shaking is probably all you need.

The aquarium pump system = pump + tubing + sanitary filter + tubing + 2 micron SS difussion stone. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get a vigorous aeration.

Or you can go O2 tank + regulator + tubing + .05 micron SS difussion stone for more like 5 seconds.

When I tried setup with a pump and 2 micron diffusion stone pump could not push air through. I switched to O2 configuration right away.

Back