Hefeweizen exploded my fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
I put on a hefeweizen with starter, went away overnight, and when I got home the bucket was open, and I had to search for both the lid and the rubber ring that seals it. Still haven't found the airlock.

Good thing I had a previous batch, so I could RDWHHB. :D

On the upside, my apartment now smells like banana bread...

Yeah, unfortunately Hefs put out a lot of CO2.

You didn't throw out the batch did you?

Dear gods, no! I would never throw it out; I've read the similar threads here. I cleaned off and sanitized the lid, then back on it went. :D

Still cleaning up now, but I'll see if I can throw up a picture later on. (Don't know if I have enough posts here to do photos yet.)

If the apartment smells like banana, I bet that is going to be one tasty batch! I love the banana/clove/bubblegum esters of a good hefe!

1086107851_photobucket_60714_.jpg

That's a pretty glorious krausen on top of that...

I did an "experiement" like that a while back too. Shot the carboy cap into the ceiling (it didn't stick in the ceiling though). Luckily it was 2 minutes after I walked in the door from work and was able to save it and get a blow off on it. Unfortunately, the blow off blew out the blow out tube too. Now I have a nice yeast stain on my carpet.

You, my friend, have a nice krausen going on there.

Back