Finishing a Saison with Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbutchart

Reaction score
After listening to The Jamil Show's podcast on Saisons, I'm curious about a cane sugar addition after about 65% attenuation. With an OG of 1.060, and hoping to finish at 1.005 or so, I'm pretty sure I'll need the sugar to get it down this low. How can I calculate my ABV after this sugar addition? Has anyone else tried this method to finish off fermentation? I see a lot of brewers having an issue with getting it down low enough to where they're happy, but I haven't seen anyone trying this in the forums.

I did this with a Saison I have in primary right now. I added 1lb of sugar after seven days in primary. If you have brewing software it's easy to calculate the ABV. Start a new recipe with the same volume and only add your sugar to the recipe to get the gravity for the sugar by itself. Add that gravity to your measured original gravity and you can calculate the ABV.

Beersmith's Refractometer tool can take a refractometer reading and a hydrometer reading and tell you what the ABV is.

1 lb of table sugar will give you about .009 in a 5 gallon batch. So take your og, add that and figure from there.

Back