Question about blow off???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
If I want to have primary fermentation in a glass carboy and want to blow the krausen off into a bucket should I get a five gallon carboy? I know a lot of people use the 6.5, but I assume that is with an airlock.

What are your thoughts??

BrooZer said:
If I want to have primary fermentation in a glass carboy and want to blow the krausen off into a bucket should I get a five gallon carboy? I know a lot of people use the 6.5, but I assume that is with an airlock.

What are your thoughts??

I'm using a 6 gallon carboy, I don't think it would be safe to use a smaller carboy (for primary fermentation) because your beer batch is 5 gallons right? Do you really want it all the way up to the top?

I see no reason why you can't use a blow off tube but you'll have your beer right up to the top. Thats kinda tight fitting.

orfy said:
Why do you want to have a blow off?

I want to blow of the Kraeusen, I read that it improves the taste of the beer because instead of it settling back to the bottom it is removed.

Try it like this:
1332-40minsandfermentation.jpg

One is primary and the other is secondary, I hardly ever use airlocks anymore..

BrooZer said:
I want to blow of the Kraeusen, I read that it improves the taste of the beer because instead of it settling back to the bottom it is removed.

Well, once the krausen settles it's just about time to rack to secondary. So unless you are doing an extended primary I don't really see the need to force a blow off.

Just my 0.02c worth.

I think it was in the Joy of Brewing that Charlie Papazian says that a blow off removes some of the material that can cause hangovers. Anyone have experience as to whether this is true?

If I removed the material that causes hangovers I'd have to remove my brain.

Seriously though I've never managed to drink enough homebrew to get an hangover. All though I can easily get one with half the amount of commercial swill.

orfy said:
If I removed the material that causes hangovers I'd have to remove my brain.

Seriously though I've never managed to drink enough homebrew to get an hangover. All though I can easily get one with half the amount of commercial swill.

I know what you mean about the commercial stuff.

And the more I think about what Papazian said the less sense it makes. You leave the stuff in the primary after it settles to the bottom. So what difference does it make if it blows off or settles out.

abracadabra said:
Cool setup what size pipe is that?

If I remember right it was 1" all you have to do is get some vinyl hose to fit in the mouth of the carboy and pvc to fit inside of that, then cut your pvc sections as long as you want them just make sure you DO NOT glue them, that way you can take it apart for cleaning....

Brewiz said:
If I remember right it was 1" all you have to do is get some vinyl hose to fit in the mouth of the carboy and pvc to fit inside of that, then cut your pvc sections as long as you want them just make sure you DO NOT glue them, that way you can take it apart for cleaning....

Yea but was size carboy is that. 5 gal or 6.5.

I think Papazians idea was that blowing off the Krauesen would blow off the crap that causes bitterness and off flavors. If it settles back into the beer the the beer would absorb the "off" flavors.

Latest posts

Back