Scorched Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graemhoek

Reaction score
This is my second batch and I was feeling ambitious and decided to make a honey-weiss. I scorched some of my malt, not a lot, but I definitely scorched it. Should I worry? Are there any fixes?

Scorched in the mash? As long aseverything converted you'll be mostly fine. I say mostly cause you might get a slight burnt taste. Depends on how scorched you are taling about.

Oddly enough that burnt taste seems a lot like smoked malt taste.

If you get it, lagering your secondary it will help reduce it.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll know about the smoky flavor in a coupla weeks. I definitely got a caramel aroma but couldn't taste it in the wort.

All grain, none of that sissy stuff...

... wait... should I be using extract?

graemhoek said:
All grain, none of that sissy stuff...

... wait... should I be using extract?

I was just trying to clarify what you meant by "malt" in the original thread. I had assumed you meant extract, but Denny had assumed all grain.

The "converted" question from you made me wonder if you meant extract. (FYI: Conversion is when the starch in the grain changes into sugar during the mash.)

I'll go back to sipping my sissy stuff beer now. ;)

My OG was a little low. Given I didn't know what conversion was and I only boiled my mash for about 2 hours that might explain it... crap. Well... I'm looking forward to some watery honey weiss.... live and learn.

Maybe I can add some extract before I add my yeast... when my wort cools enough. Would that be silly? (I am quite silly)

graemhoek said:
My OG was a little low. Given I didn't know what conversion was and I only boiled my mash for about 2 hours that might explain it... crap. Well... I'm looking forward to some watery honey weiss.... live and learn.

Maybe I can add some extract before I add my yeast... when my wort cools enough. Would that be silly? (I am quite silly)

Boiled the mash?? Add extract to cooled wort?? What??

graemhoek said:

Did you actually boil the mash? If so, you probably did not get any conversion at all. The enzymes that change the starch to sugar are de-activated at temps above 170ish.

As for the extract, you can always boost a grain batch with extract if you want. Add some to water, boil, and throw it in.

-walker

I heated the water to boil and then added the grain and turned down the heat. I'm admittedly new at this.

Thanks for the hints. I need it.

graemhoek said:
I heated the water to boil and then added the grain and turned down the heat. I'm admittedly new at this.

Thanks for the hints. I need it.

Ok... this batch might not turn out like you expect. :)

I suggest reading over www.howtobrew.com to get the basics down. He starts with extract brewing, then extract+grain, and then all grain.

-walker

... and my OG was 1.025. I had anticipated closer to 1.0.... crap. I gotta go find my notes. Leave it to a biochemist to screw up a brewers work.

graemhoek said:
... and my OG was 1.025. I had anticipated closer to 1.0.... crap. I gotta go find my notes. Leave it to a biochemist to screw up a brewers work.

Yeah, you might want to read howtobrew.com. :)

Your OG should be way above 1.0... like 1.040 or more. When it's done, it'll drop closer to 1.01-ish.

-walker

My calculations put the OG at 1.035. It was 1.025. Good thing I threw that pound of honey in there.

I'm SO fired.

I just checked the OG... its 1.035. I HATE that water is most dense at 4 degrees C. Anyways its cool enough so I added my yeast. Here's to beer.

graemhoek said:
I just checked the OG... its 1.035. I HATE that water is most dense at 4 degrees C. Anyways its cool enough so I added my yeast. Here's to beer.

good luck. post back with updates so we can track how it turns out.

No worries... you folks will be the first to know after my drinking buddies. It'll be graemhoek's toasted honey weiss.

graemhoek: well, unless you want extremely low alcohol and low-taste beer (especially low-bodied), I would take your own advice and supplement with more sugars, from extract if possible. Just order some light- or weizen-dried-malt-extract, boil it with some hops for awhile (use pellets for better utilization, unless you want to go through an entirely new 60-min boil), cool it down to match the temp of your existing wort, then strain it into the fermenter. The sooner you do this, the better off you'll be. If the yeasts have already finished their first run by the time you add this supplementary sugar, then they might have a hard time starting back up. You could always make a starter, however, which would help. Good luck!

Well, one thing that the OP mentioned in his intro thread was:

Oh... I also have celiac's disease so everything I brew is made with buckwheat, oats, sorghum, and other non-glutenous malted grains.

That makes this entire process a lot more difficult. Adding some DME would be the east answer, but that doesn't sound like it's an option. He might have to do more with other adjunct grains that we would do with our own beers, I don't know.

I've been supplementing with a few enzymes and maltose. I may be new to beer (the brewing part at least)... but biochemistry on the other hand...

Back