Band-Aid Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I read in the forums the other day about the beer infection that will cause the beer to taste like a band-aid smells. I have a pretty good imagination and i couldn't imagine what that would taste like. Now, fast forward to a political fund raiser that i went to last night at a local brewery. It is a brewery that was purchased from the previous occupier that went out of business, and i think they just thought it would be fun to continue brewing (Misty's Restraunt). I decide to get the IPA and took a drink and at that point realized what a band-aid tastes like. The unfortunate thing is that there was no one on hand that gave to craps about there bad beer. This is the second time i have had a bad beer at their establishment. I do not think there will ever be a third.

I do feel i should mention though that the food is excellent.

Reverend

I'd have a hard time trusting the sanitation of their kitchen if they can't sanitize professional brewhouse enough to brew clean beer.

the bandaid taste is not caused by an infection. Rather, the problem is that they are probably sanitizing with a bleach solution that is too highly concentrated and not rinsing well enough.

Phenols that the yeast produce combine with the chlorine and BLAMMO... chlorophenols and the band aid taste.

Just tell them to rinse their gear next time, or pony up some money and buy a more forgiving sanitizer.

-walker

I was told today by my LHBS guy that they had a Dude who did some brewing at home and that was ok, then he left them and the kid who was scooping his grains and what ever else(his grunt) was thrown into the fire. That guy had never brewed before, and as far as im concidered still has never.

Hmmm, i wonder what they would pay me to do it;)

They have a wonderful setup just no know how

Reverend

The "band aid" flavor is caused by chlorine bleach but in some areas it can be caused by just using unfiltered tap water. If they did not use a carbon filter to remove chlorine from their water source that could be the problem. I doubt they used bleach to clean thier equipment but you never know what some people will do to save a few pennies.

Back